Turbo Dodge Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
View attachment 277761
I have one of these and the battery is in the trunk so I just measure from the needle point touching the + or the - and then connect the clamp part to a good ground... am I doing it wrong?!
Connect the clamp to the positive terminal and put the needle in the negative going to the coil and see if it blinks when you crank it.
Just like I did here...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am sorry that you bumped your head. One of the dangers about testing a coil is not having a Ground close enough to spark. The fear is that the coil will develop an internal short. I suggest that this is what happened. I did not know that the ECU could be damaged, too, . The ECU is smart enough to turn off the gas if it does not detect a sgnal from the HEP, so the fact that the fuel [pump is coming on during engine cranking would suggest that the ECU believes the engine is ready to start as soon as the coil is sparking the plugs. The sparkplugs should all be clean and dry. The plug wires can develop rust and resistance so I always coat the connections to the plugs with dielectric grease to keep the moisture out.
Do you know if these cars have a fuse for the coil I know modern cars do I've worked on a couple that have an Ignition coil fuse

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do not think the coil has a fuse in our Dodge cars. I like the general logic NAJ uses to tackle any problem. It is called "scientific methodology." Intermittent spark can sometimes occur if the HEP wires are let loose to dangle. It is best practice to use the clip on the cover that protects the distributor from rain. One time the wires were so old that when I corrected the dangle the wires must have cracked and the HEP quit working. In GrandpaSleeper's case, I believe that the coil was damaged and developed an internal short when the coil was disconnected and the motor was cranked without the secondary, high voltage circuit completed. A weak spark would seem to support this conclusion. Have you tried swapping the coil from the van?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I do not think the coil has a fuse in our Dodge cars. I like the general logic NAJ uses to tackle any problem. It is called "scientific methodology." Intermittent spark can sometimes occur if the HEP wires are let loose to dangle. It is best practice to use the clip on the cover that protects the distributor from rain. One time the wires were so old that when I corrected the dangle the wires must have cracked and the HEP quit working. In GrandpaSleeper's case, I believe that the coil was damaged and developed an internal short when the coil was disconnected and the motor was cranked without the secondary, high voltage circuit completed. A weak spark would seem to support this conclusion. Have you tried swapping the coil from the van?
I think his van is a 93. Those use the newer solid ones mounted on the Throttle body. Can he use it if he wires it up?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, but it does create a new problem. The coil is not mounted to the throttle body,, it mounts to the front of the cyl.. head where the hot coolant outlet returns to the radiator via the top hose, it is right next to the temp. sensor that turns on the cooling fan, but it uses a "quick connector" electrical plug. If the connector wires are clipped along with the coil, and the connector plug re-used, it would work fine, but one would have to use some wires to modify the harness, in order to extend the wires from the original location on the right, passenger side--in such cases I like to use loudspeaker wires so that polarity can be observed and maintained. This is a lot of fiddling to do, but it would work. I would not recommend it unless the van is not going to be driven anymore (due to the bad head gasket). It is a shame to get into a bind like this, because the situation is like a spiral into more harsh and desperate measures. (It has happened to me before, and that's why I have the greatest sympathy for GrandpaSleeper's plight). Maybe there is an auto parts store nearby. and maybe someone could deliver a replacement coil? I would even suggest paying a taxi for delivery..

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Not sure if this was mentioned but the rotor is turning, right??

Thanks
Randy

41 - 46 of 46 Posts