Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 Shadow again:
Sometimes it runs fine, then at times it keeps cutting out, and stalling at lights.
Today it completely died on the road, after a bunch of the other stuff. Let it sit a half hour, it started, but I had to race eto keep it going. Then it was good enough to get home, but I had to keep racing it when ever it started to cut out.
Need help...
New pump, newer filter, newer tune up, newer distributor pick up.
The fuel gauge hasn't been right since I put the heater core in.

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
67 Posts
Oohh, I had the exact same thing with my ‘89 CSX when I first bought it. Would die and had to wait before it would restart. Ended up being the temp sensor in the intake.

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
What engine?
Are there any fault codes stored?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Despite many attempts and politely asking, the car will not diavolge it's secrets.
In other words, no codes found.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could it be losing ground to the ecu? I turns over, the stereo and lights work etc when it happens.

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
I assume that this issue was present before you replaced the said parts.
"New pump, newer filter, newer tune up, newer distributor pick up."

Does it only stall on decel or at idle or will it happen at anytime while driving?
Are there any signs that the problem is about to happen or is it out of nowhere?
Will it restart immediately after stalling or does it have to sit before it will stall again?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It occurs whenever. No warning. Hiccups, stops, starts again, doesn't start again, then later does.
Not present before, but not immediately after.

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
When the car will not restart you need to determine if the issue is ignition, fuel or both.
When it stalls and will not restart check to see if you have 12 volts at the + coil while cranking.
It all sounds like a HEP issue to me, new does not always = good, especially with HEP's.
Be sure the wiring has not been bent, connectors are clean/tight, vanes are secure in the distributor and you may want to perform a wiggle test on the wiring.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes,, it sounds like a bad HEP signal, so I agree with NAJ. It reminds me of the time I bought a used Dodge Shadow about 25 city blocks from my home. The lady was selling the car because the transmission only worked in Reverse and it would sometimes mysteriously die. I decided that since I lived about 25 blocks away I would just drive the car home in Reverse and save the cost of a tow truck. The plan included staying off the major streets and only driving on the less busy neighborhood streets where I could take my time and be careful. Everything went fine until a pedestrian saw me driving backwards and started yelling at me: "That's not funny!" he said. He thought I was a prankster just playing a trick. No, not funny, merely necessary. When I got home I received a call from the lady who had sold me the car. She was worried that I would not make it home. I told her that she was very kind and considerate, but I had made it home just fine. The next day I diagnosed the problem as a bad HEP (Hall Effect Pickup) and replaced it. Swapping out the Automatic transmission took a little longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts