Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I'm having a turbo rebuilt for me, but my source doesn't have any usable .48 AR TII exhaust housings. He does have an older TI unit, however.

From what I know the older units had less nickel (stamped with M3 instead of M4). I'm not sure if this would make a real world difference for me as I never plan on going above 15psi or officially racing the car.

What I don't know is this: Is there ANY flow difference between the two units? When I asked the shop this question, I never received an email response.

Anybody with knowledge of the differences between these two parts, please chime in!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
They can interchange just fine, except the very early T1 log exhaust housings won't accept a later blow through intake manifold without modifying it a bit. Both the intake manifold and the early exhaust manifolds need some work to fit the later intake manifolds. Don't worry about the m3/m4 markings. More urban legend than anything. There is no flow difference. See attachment.
Biggest thing is just make sure the housing is straight where the swingvalve attaches. At this point, many exhaust housings will have cracks starting inside the scroll and spreading to the wastegate hole. Many have used lightly cracked housings without issue, but finding one without cracks would be a bonus. Much like finding a swirl head without cracks between the seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Todd! Precise and informative as usual, I appreciate it man!

Yup, that's why my guy wanted to go with the older TI and modify the flange. This unit looks to be in great shape and has zero signs of cracking around the wastegate hole/port. The TII that he had to work with has pretty big cracks to either side of the hole.

-Zach

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my turbo from TU arrived today, it it looks great! Chris was able to source a TI exhaust housing in pretty much perfect condition. No cracks at all. This one even got a brand new CHRA rather than refurbished. I'll tell ya, never had a turbine shaft seem so..fitted. Spins freely and has ZERO play either direction.

The only thing is my stocker came with a nipple on the compressor outlet for cruise control. This one..not so much.

What should I watch out for if I wanted to drill and tap it for the nipple? Other than just stuffing rags in there, having a vacuum ready, and making sure gravity promotes any shavings to exit the housing, I'm not sure if there are any tips or tricks. Thanks!

Table Wood Automotive design Picture frame Gas

Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Machine Tool

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Well six bolts and the compressor housing is off. That is what I would do. You would want to mark the housing and backing plate so it can be assembled in the proper orientation. Yes, I always drill and tap that location for a nipple. Convenient place for a manual boost controller or boost gauge pressure source, or in your case the cruise control source.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well six bolts and the compressor housing is off. That is what I would do. You would want to mark the housing and backing plate so it can be assembled in the proper orientation. Yes, I always drill and tap that location for a nipple. Convenient place for a manual boost controller or boost gauge pressure source, or in your case the cruise control source.
I'll need to look through the database to see if we have a sticky that shows dismantling/reassembling the compressor housing. I've never taken a turbo apart before, so not really sure what to look out for other than making sure to clock it correctly.

Didn't really want to take apart this beautiful new turbo, but maybe it'd be the best way.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
There is a paper gasket that is sort of fragile in between the compressor housing. That is about it as far as what to be concerned about. Being that the turbo hasn't been run since being rebuilt, it will come apart easily. It is just the cover your taking apart. Attached is sort of what your yours will look like with compressor cover removed. I rebuild turbos all the time, but this should be EZ for anyone with even moderate wrenching skills.
Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Camera accessory Bicycle part Automotive tire Light Bicycle part Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Todd, you were right. Not a big deal taking the compressor housing off. I drilled and tapped the spot, although I wasn't quite able to get the nipple to start threading. So I was gonna run the tap in a little further to open up the top of the hole when I found out somebody clipped my poor mum's Odyssey with a trailer.

Had to go over there and pull her fender away from the tire, bungee the bumper in place, etc 😅

Tomorrow I'm going back over to run the 1/8" NPT tap in a little deeper. Will let ya know how it goes.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gear Suspension

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Titanium Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick question,

My SV bolts are pretty buggered up, I'd like to just install fresh ones. Would grade 8 or higher stainless be acceptable? I know they're M8 1.25, just want to make sure whatever I pick up can handle the heat. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, as an update things are going well for the little time I have available.

I've swapped all my water/oil line fittings to the new CHRA, and attached my SV.

Just had a quick question about the wastegate actuator. It doesn't look like it needs to be stretched much to clip onto the SV arm, and I just wanna make sure it'll have enough clamping force to stay closed under boost.

Stupid me didn't really pay attention to it on the old turbo. Does this look normal to you guys?

Gas Wood Nail Auto part Personal protective equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes that is exactly where you want to be. Factory was approx half the hole for preload. Looks perfect to me.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes that is exactly where you want to be. Factory was approx half the hole for preload. Looks perfect to me.
Fantastic! That's the info I needed. As always, appreciate your guidance, Todd. Since this is my only TD and it hasn't been under the knife all that much, I don't have a ton of personal experience lol.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay guys, need some input.

I mounted the turbo today, but when attempting to install the turbo support bracket, it doesn't appear to line up. I'm not sure what I could have done wrong..there's really no adjustment anywhere.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Only difference between this turbo and my original is this one has a TI exhaust housing..but they look to be of the exact same design. Picture below.

I must be having a brain fart. Please help lol

Automotive tire Hat Motor vehicle Wood Gas

·
Registered
403 Posts
Loosen the support top bolt and u get some up and down on the bracket. Same thing happened to me...

This is an 89 setup if you want to look for differences.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive lighting Rim

This is a 88 setup just got the other day
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Loosen the support top bolt and u get some up and down on the bracket. Same thing happened to me...

This is an 89 setup if you want to look for differences.
View attachment 277328
This is a 88 setup just got the other day
View attachment 277329
I think the problem was that the exhaust housing tang/support appears to have been slightly bent over the years. I was able to stick the support bracket in my vise and bend it slightly to make things line up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts