Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 86 2.2 and i was wanting to switch to a roller cam..i found one at the local yard out of a 89 turbo daytona..when i went to sit the cam on my head, i noticed it didnt sit all the way down on the head..so i checked and the cam journals are bigger..so i guess there is a difference in cams? i read some other posts about the slider to roller swap and i didnt see anything about the journals being different..has anyone else ran into this?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
The cam you got from the salvage yard is an OSJ cam. It is very likely stamped on the end. "Oversized Journal" cams were installed when damage to a head caused it to be lined bored to oversized specs. The cam is very close to worthless unless you get the head too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool..thanks for the info..i checked the journals and mine was like 3.7?? and the other was 3.9??..the cam didnt have anything stamped on the end, least not OSJ..so hopefully the yard will let me swap it for the right one, if i can find one..think i'll take one my cam caps with me just to make sure that if i find another cam, that it'll work..just in case it doesnt have any stampings on it either..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have another question now..is 88 the only year that a tbi cam will work in my 86? the reason i ask is because i went to the yard and they pretty much have every year tbi, except 88...and as far as turbo'd cars there, the head or the whole motor is gone..only turbo motor that was basically complete till i got ahold of it was the one i got the cam out of..so is there any difference in tbi cams thru the years?

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
yes the 88 TBI is a little bit more aggressive than the 89+ ; they are a little more rare, and a little more desirable

but an 89+ will work just fine in your 86 ; I am running a 91 TBI in my 86

of course you will get the roller lifters too, right ? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok..cool..the cam i swapped it for was out of a 93 tbi..i figured i'd jus have to change the cam gear like i was gonna have to with the 89 cam..and yea i got the roller followers also..and the lash adjusters..i just figured they'd have alot less miles on them than mine..lol..so will the timing be 4 degrees off with this cam also like with the 89 turbo cam?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There is a 4 degree difference between the round and square tooth cam sprockets. You may want to try getting an adjustable cam sprocket though, there is lots of performance to be found in the cam timing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But even if the timing is 4 degrees retarded, that should help in top end power, right? To me, with these cars being on the lighter side, you could sacrifice sum low end torque seeing as how your in the upper rpm's when your gettin on it anyway..but i guess if worse comes to worse, i could always install an adjustable cam gear of get the offset keys for it..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The cam timing will not be retarded. If you're intent on getting cam keys or an adjustable sprocket ... use them to degree the cam in properly. Otherwise, just install it and line up the marks as usual.

Retarding the cam timing will move the power upward in the rpm range but it will also raise EGT's a bit. I've run cams a little retarded and advanced and I'll take a little advance for street use any day. 4* retard on these cams gives too choppy a throttle response for my tastes. A little advance (2*) is nice and smooth. Haven't noticed any loss in top end power either.

Just another cam tip for you. Sealed Power makes a replacement cam for the turbo engine that I think is pretty good. The P/N is CS 785. It has a little more lift on the exhaust side and less duration then our stock cams (pretty sure anyway) and no overlap. I dropped one in my stock headed 2.2 turbo and it really woke up the engine. Definitely better than the stock T2 or TBI cams I've used.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cs 785; .245 lift int, .247 ext, what is the rocker ratio?? Says it is 194/191 int/ext duration I guess at .050. Wish they would rate all at advertised (around .006) and .050 lift. I didn't notice the lobe seperation? More I think about it, I need a F2 FWD perf cam?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts