Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to swap the electromechanical guages for the digital dash ? what else is needed?I have 87 daytona pacifica t-1 .I have all the dodge serv. manuals for wiring ect... any help would be great thanx

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm thinking about this too, but the one tutorial I read wasn't exactly clear how the inputs convert from analog to digital. I would be great if Dodge made these to plug right in to the old harnesses, but you know it can't be that easy!

·
Registered
136 Posts
its very easy.. if all you want is the cluster! comparable to putting in an aftermarket cd player! certainly easier than an alarm system, or remote starter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
how hard is it to swap the electromechanical guages for the digital dash ? what else is needed?I have 87 daytona pacifica t-1 .I have all the dodge serv. manuals for wiring ect... any help would be great thanx
Dude, are you REALLY sure that you want one. I have one baron with digi and one w/o. I admit they are neat as hell at night, they light up like a Christmas tree. However they can be a major pain in the ass. Finding one that even works right can be a quest, and if you want to monitor more than one system you constantly have to be pushing the guage selector switch. And I think the tach needs to have more segments to it, especially down twards the 0-1500 end. Maybe im just old school, but watching two needles climb and then lay over seem to excite me more than watching a few bars light up. Just my opinion though!:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
so you're saying you can just take the analog leads from the old harness, splice them into the respective inputs on the digital dash, and everything works? I can see the binary ones working (idiot lights, turn signal indicator) but what about inputs that have a range associated with them (ie fuel, oil press, coolant temp). Also, does the digital dash accept the maechanical speedo cable and then convert, or is there a special speedo pick-up on the trans?

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
136 Posts
in a nutshell, yes! follow tryingbe's diagrams, and you're good to go.. your 1987 speedometer is not cable driven, its actually electric, and all your existing sensors, and sending units are fully compatible. but, like lennylebaron says, finding one that works, is another thing.. you might get a cluster, and everything APPEARS to work, the readings might not be "accurate" i had one where the fuel gauge jumped all over on me.. another with the oil pressure guage barely ever reading anything. but good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the help all .Im going to try to find one that works soon and see how i like it.
thanx again all!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The main reason I think people want to convert to digital dashes is for the higher reading speedo. That's the reason I'm doing it in my Shadow, I hate reaching 125mph and then not knowing my speed after that! I have also discovered that finding one where all the gauges work is a problem. The one I got tuesday has the common fuel gauge stuck on full(even with the sensor wire to it unhooked), and the non-working buttons. Good thing it was free!

·
Registered
187 Posts
so if I get a digi dash from an 85, the speedo cable goes right in? I was just under it the other day, and noticed a two wire lead coming from next to where the cable enters the trans. I just figured it was a reverse sensor or something simple like that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
One of those two wires is what you wire to the digi dash. None of the digi dashes use the speedo cable. They get there signal from the speed sensor, which is what you saw beside the cable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you want the white wire with the orange tracer. the 85 digital dashes don't use a cable either.. but they do show all gauges at once, instead of the later 87-89 style. i like them anyways.. looks way cooler, also the 84-85 style has way more wires to hook up, and are even harder to come by.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was just reading through the thread and I wanted to note that the fuel and oil pressure gauges stuck on full are a typical failure of the digital clusters in the '87 to '89 LeBarons and Daytonas.

Also, I have worked out what wires need to be spliced to do the analog to digital conversion. I have it as a pdf. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail and I would be happy to forward it. [email protected]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is this pretty much the same procedure for an 86 dash? I just picked an 86 digital dash up and want to swap out my analog out of my 86 turbo z? Also, does anyone have the diagram for changing out this year (86)

·
Registered
136 Posts
i stand corrected.. in my previous post, i said 84-85 style, i should've said 84-86!
if you have an 86 with cable driven speedo (i think it went electromechanical in 87) you're going to need to run a speedometer wire from either your logic module, or right from the transaxle extension...also, you need to hook up the resistor pack on the back of the cluster, or your guages will be erratic!

·
Registered
136 Posts
no sorry i dont have a diagram.. NAJ, you reading this? lol! as far as i know each input for each guage is wired in parallel to the cluster and its corresponding resistor.. looks like you may already have enough wire cut there to accomplish this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts