Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having an issue with my Speedometer on a digital cluster acting very erratic. In testing for possible issues My dash failed internal test number 3. The factory service manual does not list what the first four internal tests are. Does anyone know what test 3 is. Thank you -Dan

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I believe its the signal input interuption code, Have you done a switch test for fault codes on the car it's self? I think the speed sensor is faulty and will throw a code from the onboard computer diagnostics check, And when you do the test on the cluster it will throw out a corusponding code with the same result.

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Agreed ^, I have just solved this problem on mine and it is most likely your speed sensor or a broken wire, sensor located on top of the transaxle in the left output shaft extension. Two wire connector pops off and 10mm bolt holds it down, pulls out. Easiest to replace underneath the car using an open end wrench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had this problem before and replacing the distance sensor solved the problem. So naturally I did that again this time but the problem persists. I have tested both the old and new sensor they both are test good with 8 open close intervals per revolution. I've checked for continuity of Or/Wt to the dash and navagation unit, as well as to the smec, all is good. The Bk/Lb also tests good for continuity. The only thing that I found strange is that Or/Wt does not have infinite resistance to ground. It reads at like 1700 ohms. But then I tested Or/Wt as a ground and with red probe on positive of battery and black probe on Or/Wt from the distance sensor, And it read 12v.
So then I pulled each connector that Or/Wt goes to and in each case the resistance went up, but I could still read 12v like I did before from each individual connector. Is there normally some continuity to ground on a feed line? All other sensors work fine. The other thing I noticed is that when OR/Wt is to ground the speedo stays at zero. Its only when the line is open that it goes crazy.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have had this problem before and replacing the distance sensor solved the problem. So naturally I did that again this time but the problem persists. I have tested both the old and new sensor they both are test good with 8 open close intervals per revolution. I've checked for continuity of Or/Wt to the dash and navagation unit, as well as to the smec, all is good. The Bk/Lb also tests good for continuity. The only thing that I found strange is that Or/Wt does not have infinite resistance to ground. It reads at like 1700 ohms. But then I tested Or/Wt as a ground and with red probe on positive of battery and black probe on Or/Wt from the distance sensor, And it read 12v.
So then I pulled each connector that Or/Wt goes to and in each case the resistance went up, but I could still read 12v like I did before from each individual connector. Is there normally some continuity to ground on a feed line? All other sensors work fine. The other thing I noticed is that when OR/Wt is to ground the speedo stays at zero. Its only when the line is open that it goes crazy.
Do you have a trip navigator installed on the car?
Does the speed ( avg/speed ) also have fluxuations in readings from the wire?
Or is it normal in its readings?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Normal Readings from the Nav Average speed seems right on and when I do reset while cruising about 40 the nav says avg speed 38ish. So the speed sensor is working. I did the internal test on the Digital dash and it failed test 3 again. No codes in smec. Also, I noticed that my tach is no longer operational.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it turns out the internal test failure was to due to a broken connector. The black connector that goes in the digital dash was cracked, and slipped out after i installed it causing the dash to fail test 3.
The dash works but i am still having an erratic speedo problem. I found that if I disconnect the trip nav the speedo works flawlessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts