Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says. I just went to leave and went to check the trans fluid (still got that leak) and noticed oil all over the place. Then I noticed the dipstick tube is broken clean off, flush with the block where it goes in.

Obviously cant drive it, so what do I need to do?

Ive read some posts on here about dropping the pan and driving the tube out from the inside, and some about using an easy out to get it out (sounds like what I would try first). But how do you get a new tube in?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dipstick tubes went NS1 around Christmas / New Years. You won't be buying a new one from the dealer.

I got one from the JY. I broke about 3 before I found one that came out well. I also had to perfect my technique. It is a little wiggle, not much, and more of a rotating movement to try to get it to free up. If you wiggle too much, you just break it off at the block. I think I paid around $2 at the JY for the tube and stick, whereas when they were in stock at the dealer they were over $45.

I might just have to start pulling these, cleaning them up, and wait for them to go nuts on eBay.

I've heard of several methods for pulling the broke off part out. One method that sounded okay was to get a bolt that was a couple sizes too big to slip into the tube, then thread it in, then pull it all out with a slide hammer. I don't have a slide hammer and didn't want to risk anything getting into my oil pan.

Pulling the pan was the way to go for me. I pulled the pan, sanded it, and repainted it in fancy rustoleum gloss black. My pan gasket was leaking, so it was a nice opportunity to fix that. I just punched the old tube out from the bottom. It was an easy but long job. I was doing some other work too, so I took the opportunity to get some foam degreaser and clean while I was down there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just so you know, the 2.2/2.5 commonblock tubes were the same, just the dipstick was different. 2.5L is longer for the deeper oil pan.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Just use an easy out. Works all the time. Like mentioned above, new tube just snug-fits right in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ended up calling a couple local dealers around here and they both said they could order them for me, but at around $30. That would have been my last resort, $30 for a piece of tube about a foot long, no thanks.

I actually managed to get my dad to weld the pieces back together. Used an easyout to get it out of the block. It ended up going back in real easy, so easy that its a pretty loose fit in there. The first time I pulled the dipstick out of the tube the whole tube came back out. I bent that little bracket back around the top of the tube to hold it in place though. Seems good now. We will see how long it lasts.

Im just glad the stick goes right there in front...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts