Turbo Dodge Forums banner

distributor timing on 3.0

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  edthatalkinhors 
#1 ·
I've seen threads here about how to set up proper distributor position on 2.x engine, but is it the same for the 3.0?

Here's the thing that confuses me. The manual I have says to aligning the marks on the dist shaft and housing, then install while #1 is at TDC (ie, all timing marks aligned). But by putting the distributor on, it turns a bit because its a worm gear. So, after install, the marks on the dist wont be aligned. And most threads say that the rotor should be pointing at the #1 pickup, but by now its counter-clockwise to that, pointing at the #2 plug. Should the rotor be pointing to #1 pickup before or after installation of the distributor?

I also see plenty mention of adjusting the timing to 12° BTDC. Is this also the spec for the 3.0? How to I achieve that precisely? Are there marks somewhere for me to use? Do I just eyeball it?

#2 ·
To answer a few of your questions:
Yes, I am pretty sure that ignition timing is 12 degrees BTDC. I'd go 13 or 14 for a little extra fun factor unless NOx emissions are going to be a concern.

The distributor rotor should be pointed towards the #1 cylinder ignition wire terminal in the cap AFTER it is fully installed. Also, of course, the engine needs to be at top dead center for the compression stroke when this happens. So make sure the the camshaft timing marks are aligned along with the crankshaft.

Then, don't forget to unplug the coolant temperature sensor which will force the engine controller to not perform any of its own ignition advance stuff while it is running when making the timing adjustment.

This procedure is pretty much the same for any automotive engine with a distributor made since... I dunno... 1965 or something. Different vehicles have different procedures for getting it to run at base timing, but yeah... its pretty much the same, at least fundamentally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.