Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
That's really cool!
I wouldn't believe it, until I saw it, but seeing is believin'!
My late friend Hartwell used to tell me, "Where there's a will-- there is a way!" He also told me: "Blackberries? Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile!"
There is a formula that predicts engine power by the number of cylinders. The tenet is that the more surface area of the pistons, the more power an engine will produce. (Not counting turbocharging, of course.). So one can expect a multi-cylinder motor to have more power even if the displacement is the same It's nice to have power on tap without the complication of a turbo, but the motor must weigh a lot more, thus throwing a monkey wrench into the handling. Chrysler produced a V-6 in 1995 that has a displacement of the 2.5 4 cylinder, so whenever I call Autozone I make sure to tell them it is the 4 cylinder or otherwise they will try to give me the wrong parts. My only complaint is that a V-6 is twice as much work once you have a head gasket problem. It is best practice to rebuild and replace the head gasket on both banks. Most people don't worry about how much work it is for the machanic, unless you do your own repairs. which I do.

· Registered
151 Posts
That's good info to know, Bill. I don't have any experience with the V-6s.
The SHO (Super High Output) program was squarely in Carroll Shelby's sights when he developed the Spirit R/T.--It had to be faster than a Ford Taurus SVO no matter what!
(I didn't know about Yamaha!, that explains a lot.)
The knowledge gained by Chrysler helped lead to the 16-valve DOHC Neon, a car that finally made money for Chrysler/Dodge. Chrysler abandoned the turbo during the Nineties, but the demand for greater efficiency brought it back in vogue. V-6 or V-8? I prefer the turbo cars and I like letting the turbo do the work, and if it doesn't work, then there's always more boost that can be added with some tinkering.. Question: what do you think of the Oldsmobile Quad-4?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts