Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Old School Hot Rodder
1,752 Posts
A 3.3 or 3.8L along with possibly the 3.5 - 3.6L are 60° blocks and therefore narrower (or shorter front to back when sideways) so would be an easier fit than a 90° block (Ford 3.8/4.2L pushrod, GM earlier 3.8L and Chrysler 3.7L) all of which were based on a V8 block - 2 cyls.

Shoehorn, picture a DOHC V8 in a space designed for a 60° and later 90° V6. Lincoln Continental 1995 and up till a major body change were based on the 1992 - 1995 Taurus body, originally powered by a 3.0L 60° pushrod V6, SHO models had a Yamaha built DOHC engine, but the loaded models were offered with the 3.8L engine modified for FWD. There were several areas where access was near non-existent and unlike GM, there was no provision to tilt the engine for access to the rear bank. Now shove a DOHC 4.6L 90° V8 in there!

On AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly don't forget to tell them the color.

· Old School Hot Rodder
1,752 Posts
POS, it is a strong NA engine, but in the best GM tradition has a very low oil capacity (shared with the SOHC Quad-OHC) and a tiny bit low on the 4.0 quart (with filter) capacity will lead to accelerated bearing wear. This manifests itself by some engine knock as the rod bearings wear enough that the pistons start hitting the head. The other issue, water pump is driven by the timing chain so to change it, you need to open the chain cover so you don't jump time on it and you can re set or replace the tensioner. I do like how GM did the oil pump, it is the gears for the balance shafts so is under the oil at all times. A bigger pan would have been a huge improvement, but GM was on a "reduce maintenance cost" kick where all their engines had the capacity about 1 quart less than previously.

A good friend and I did 3 of these over a weekend, first was a Quad-4, where the owner had bought a used engine. We dropped the pan and checked all the bearings as we had already seen the piston to head interference on the old engine. Part of that was used to repair another, and the third was a Quad-OHC, same bottom end, different pistons and head.

As for turbos, yes, dad had a 1966 Corsa with the 180 hp 164 ci air cooled flat 6. I co-owned a carburetor shop, so, I found a pair of adapters, one to use a Stromberg WW series, like a 318 used, then a second one to a Ford or Holley pattern 2 barrel. I took a small Holley 2 barrel that had a provision for an external vacuum source for the power valve and teed that into the boost gauge line so once the turbo spooled up the power valve would stay open. Second was a 1963 Jetfire, an F85 based car with a Garrett turbo feeding a 215 ci aluminum V8. Transmission was a Roto Hydra-Matic model 5 which I dubbed a spastamatic. It drove like a 4 speed with 2nd blocked. Jump was from 3.03:1 to 1.57:1 and from a fluid coupling to straight mechanical which made it worse. After I removed the enrichment spring in the carburetor, car would deliver 23 mpg at a 65 mph cruise. Last was my 1985 Lebaron convertible, changed from a 2.6L with 3 cracked combustion chambers to what was originally just to be a 1987 2.2L T1, then a friend in NC sent me a chip for the LM, instructions on adding the two more IAC wires, a 2 piece intake and fuel rail. Engine turned out to be a 1988 service short block (left over T2 ones due to the change to a common block in 1989). Chip he sent was set for 14 psi boost and set up for an automatic. I built a strong A413 at a friend's transmission shop. Car would burn the tires for about 100 yards if you built a little boost before getting off the brakes. Shifted 1-2 at 56 mph, 2-3 at 79 mph and my son had it so fast up near DC that the Tokyo by night dash went past 99 to 00 and started back up, he got to 21 and still pulling when some jerk tried to cut him off. T2K-CAR (VA license plates) MKII is slowly nearing completion currently as T2K-CAR MKI was totaled in 2009 by a Mercedes-Benz ML320.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts