Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new head on my Shelby Lancer, hard to beleive but it was the original head that came with the car. I had rebuilt, the question is, should I bolt the Turbo and the Intake Manifold on the head, and then install the head or do it one piece at a time?

Thank you in advance
PYCSXVNT12

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
first assemble everything

a length of 6x6 and a short piece of 2x4 are really handy as "stands"
6x goes under head
2x goes under end of exhaust housing
then everything sits flat on the bench - mostly

then call a buddy 'cause it's gonna be heavy and awkward

then make sure to wiggle the little bracket that holds the dipstick tube to the t-stat housing bolt.. yeah wiggle it until it's loose enough to drop down the tube without breaking the tube off at the block

why?
because it's easy to miss and a free-king bee-eye-tea-sea-ach if it gets caught between the head and block as it kinda ruins the new head gasket you have there....

also remember to line up the cam pulley with the cam cap parting lines while the head is still on the bench
- it's a hell of a lot easier to make sure not to rotate the pulley as you put the head on then it is to see the parting lines through the pulley when the head's on...

if your exhaust manifold outlet and turbo inlet flanges are flat then a light smear of grease will form a burned in gasket or seal

lines from front of block to turbo are easier to install on the bench too - if the factory style lines will fit tight to the end of the head they are in the right place

and the aircleaner bracket .. really helps the buddy reach over the fender if it's on the head already

·
Legendary Driver
10,912 Posts
Cherry picker is easiest. Then you can wrap a strap around the plenum and lower the head right onto the pins without f'ing up the gasket. But before you let the straps/chains go slack put a head bolt in the front middle hole just enough so the head doesn't rock back. :) I like this way because it takes the pussy friend out of the equation who can't line something and hold something properly.

·
Registered
862 Posts
install the intake. exhaust and turbo on the car.
I always have good success laying the head where it needs to go. and putting the gasket where it needs to be. and slightly lifting the head while someone drops the gasket in place.

Use copper gasket prep!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for the notes, all very useful! I'll check into copper gasket prep, I haven't heard about that.

Best Regards, CSXVNT12

1 - 6 of 6 Posts