Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just needing some information about Daytona’s. I bought a 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 turbo 5 speed and it had a cracked block. So I bought a 87 Dodge Daytona 2.5tbi 5 speed for a parts car. Can I take all the turbo parts like intake and exhaust manifold from the 2.2 and put on the 2.5? Will everything bolt up and be alright to run? I know the 2.5 is a tall block and not the common block. Thanks Logan

·
Registered
1989 Chrysler Le Baron 2.5 TBI/A413 -> 2.5 T1/A520
11 Posts
No, the tall deck 2.5 will have long, lightweight rods, wrong compression ratio, no oil drainback in the block, wrong valve seats. You could swap the head as well to eliminate that issue and rig an oil drain to the pan and probably could run it on low boost for a while but you could end up melting pistons or bending a rod, then you have bigger problems. Ideally you would find a common block if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the tall deck 2.5 will have long, lightweight rods, wrong compression ratio, no oil drainback in the block, wrong valve seats. You could swap the head as well to eliminate that issue and rig an oil drain to the pan and probably could run it on low boost for a while but you could end up melting pistons or bending a rod, then you have bigger problems. Ideally you would find a common block if possible.
I’m just planning on daily driving it not trying to race it or anything. Even just daily driving it you think destroy itself?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
If you do decide to try the 2.5 Tall deck run +20 injectors.

This will allow your fuel system match the increased displacement.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1989 Chrysler Le Baron 2.5 TBI/A413 -> 2.5 T1/A520
11 Posts
Without swapping the head, the valve seats will be an issue. If you keep your right foot tame you could probably get away with using the rest of it for a while. I think the compression ratio will still be a problem and you would absolutely have to use Premium gas - it's " recommended" (strongly!) for regular turbo 2.2/2.5 with lower compression. I'm sure someone's done it before but I would say it's a crapshoot. I would Google Donovan's Dodge Garage and do some reading.

Edit - Randy is probably right on the money - extra fuel will be needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thank you guys. Will the 2.5 tbi be a dog in the car with a 5 speed?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Problem is it will be very fast until you reach the limit of the LW rods!!

Like a Buick V8, limit your Engine to 4500 RPM MAX and it might live.

Turbo II Daytona's should have been 2.5L right from the start.

Off idle performance will be vastly improved.

As mentioned, run good fuel !!

Run low boost.

Thanks
Randy

Alright thank you guys. Will the 2.5 tbi be a dog in the car with a 5 speed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I was just needing some information about Daytona’s. I bought a 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 turbo 5 speed and it had a cracked block. So I bought a 87 Dodge Daytona 2.5tbi 5 speed for a parts car. Can I take all the turbo parts like intake and exhaust manifold from the 2.2 and put on the 2.5? Will everything bolt up and be alright to run? I know the 2.5 is a tall block and not the common block. Thanks Logan
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
I absolutely love these cars but you will be spending quite a bit on parts. Owned an 89 Shelby CSX for awhile that I worked on more than drove. If you are in the Houston area there is a great place that works specifically on these cars called FWD Performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts