Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where i can get a hitch for an L car? Ive searched around an saw what Polybushings did and also found one that bolt to the bumper and spare tire well. Where can i find that one? Im looking to pull a teardrop camper and a small "big mac box" motorcycle trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I had installed one that bolted to the rear bumper only. I think it was from Rigid. I found one no problem, but that was close to 20 years ago. IIRC, it used flat steel reinforcements in the bumper U-channel and a bar mounted just ahead of the leading edge of the bumper that tied the two bumper supports together. The later attached using u-bolts to the bumper supports. Don't think it bolted at all to the spare tire well. Spare tire well being sheet metal only, don't know how much more support that would offer? I installed only to transport live plants quickly when moving. Killed two birds with one stone. Needed to get the car from SA, TX, to MPLS, MN, while getting the house plants to the destination quickly.
Anyway, it worked fine and car didn't really know the small trailer was even behind it. I still have mine up in the attic somewhere. If you weld, you could easily make one like the one I'm describing.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I had one around here someplace that attached to the bumper and spare tire well.

It didn't have the U channel reinforcements that Todd mentioned so that's possibly why it went to the spare tire well.

Probably didn't offer much support but might have helped prevent tearing the bumper off.

I've seen many Omni's with a bumper torn off from getting towed out of a ditch etc.!!

The bumpers seem to corrode where the bolts attach it to the brackets.

Road salt probably causes the corrosion.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Checked the U-Haul website. They may still have a hitch in their surplus. This came from U-Haul website,
Regular Duty Fixed (Zinc)
Class 1 hitch
Max weight: 2,000 lbs.
Although this hitch has been discontinued, some U-Haul locations still have inventory that we’re offering to you at red tag pricing! These hitches are unused and structurally sound.
While supplies last.
Manufacturer Part Number: 21132
Part number: 21132
Hitch image shown is for display purposes only and may not reflect the actual hitch for this vehicle.

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
I Checked the U-Haul website. They may still have a hitch in their surplus. This came from U-Haul website,
Class 1 hitch
Although this hitch has been discontinued, some U-Haul locations still have inventory that we’re offering to you at red tag pricing! These hitches are unused and structurally sound.
While supplies last.
Hitch image shown is for display purposes only and may not reflect the actual hitch for this vehicle.
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/1985/Dodge/Charger/Front-Wheel-Drive/

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Class 1 hitch
While supplies last.
This appears to be for a 2 dr. L-body, not a 4 dr.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
bummer, ive saw omnis wit hitches, wonder how they did it....
They did it with a kit. I would still contact U-Haul and check because they made far more 4 dr. Omni/Horizons than 2dr. models, so maybe the image is just incorrect. Their database should show some differential between the two models. Then if U-Haul can't help you, just need to keep contacting manufacturers of hitches, and ask if they still have old NOS stock, or build your own. Can't be that hard to make a class 1 hitch for an Omni.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying one for a VW rabbit, very similat in mounting configuration. Only mods needed was slightly clearaning the spare tire well to bolt in the load bar. Part number is Curt 11653. I am currently modifying to be a reveiver style hitch.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Have you ever removed your bumper brackets? They were made to collapse. A few strategic welds and the brackets could be significantly strengthened. I recently shortened my brackets to tuck the rear bumper in around 2-1/2". I immediately saw the need to strengthen the bumper brackets. I also found that by adding some gussets to the bumper, the bumper can be made 2 to 3 times the strength of the original.
Just a thought as many Omni bumpers fell off just from corrosion, let alone trying to tow something with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts