Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 87 2.2 with stock guts (freshly rebuilt stock guts) and i'm increasing the boost....alot. I would like to run 20 lbs of boost and here are all the provisions i've made to make sure i dont blow it up.
G head
9YC champion plugs
+20 injectors
2.5 inch SV with 3" exhaust
calibration set with 2 settings, 10 lbs and 20 lbs. (g valve is too risky)
stock intercooler.
3 bar map sensor
180' thermostat
is there anything else i should do before installing the cal? I've read some horror stories about people having detonation and smoking a piston or two. 2.2 pistons are stronger than 2.5 so thats good for me. The only other thing i can think of is a bigger IC. the car is a manual 520 also. any last minute warnings? I dont have an AF meter or an EGT meter, i figured the cal would take care of that. should i get one anyway?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
First thing you should have bought is a wideband and/or EGT gauge.
yeah forget about the EGT, wideband tells you mostly what you need to know, cals are somewhat universal so you will more than likely have too much fuel, thats why an adjustable fuel pressure regulator helps dial it in, and you also have to dial the timing in a little

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've never used a custom cal yet, so I'm almost an orphan on this forum. I always had to figure out stuff by trial and error. Never trusted computers until now. Your plans sound good. If you don't use a FMIC, I've used a small pusher fan on the front of a stock IC to cool it off more. I always ran a 195 thermostat on a turbo engine. It seems to draw the heat off the head better,
as it slows down the water flow through the engine. I also use a Mopar 006 HG on cross-drilled TII's. Haven't blown one yet. Broke some pistons though, both cast and forged, before using +40 injectors and Hi-octane fuel. Seems if I go to a custom cal I can drop down to +20's and run straight 93. At least that's the word from some on here who seem to be able to back up what they say. If you've got a heavy car, make sure the 520 came from a turbo car and has the right gearing. It does make a difference. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the long post.[/QUOTE]

thank you for the advice. the car is an 87 shelby lancer and its the original trans. i've been looking at IC's online, which are better than the one i have? i just want a used one off of another car, volvo or srt-4?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just my opinion, the Volvo IC is a good size but has more fins per inch causing slightly reduced flow and a pressure drop. Haven't tried an SRT4 one yet. Probably get one cheap though, as even the factory offers upgraded ones now.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
For something cheap, look at the IC's from the Conquest's and the (sorry) Ford Probe turbo. Easy to locate, mount easily, and more efficient than stock.
Before I went to a front mount, I used that pusher fan on a stock Daytona IC I mounted in an Omni because I couldn't find a GLHS one. It helped a lot and worked better than the spray bar I had used.

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
i cant trust the cal?
You shouldn't. The cal is not written specific to your car or your setup. In order for the cal to work perfect, you'll have to go to the dyno shop and have the car run with the cal and recalibrate until it match your setup needs.

One tiny mismatch in the cal can and will leads to a broken engine, would you want that?

Why use another stock car intercooler when an ebay intercooler is sub $100? You might as well spend the $50 more and get a better than stock intercooler.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You haven't mentioned a GOOD fuel pump. If you put your trust in the computer and your fuel pump reaches its limit, you will lean out and go boom.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good call, i got the chip today but i'm waiting to get a better fuel pump first. I dont know if i mentioned but i've got a stock bottom end with cast pistons, i'm putting my faith in the lower compression ratio and increase in fuel to keep me from popping one. I really dont have the cash right now for a wideband, maybe i'll wait to put in the chip till i can get one, whats a good brand?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Are the conquest intercoolers any good? I have one out of an 88 tsi but the smal 1 inch inlets make me wonder if It wont flow as well... Anybody want a conquest intercooler?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts