Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best way to pump old gas out of the tank?
I was thinking siphoning it through the return line inlet on the sender.
I don’t want to run the pump, the gas is about 3 years old.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
"I was thinking siphoning it through the return line inlet on the sender."

This method will probably get you real close to empty. Empty enough at least that when you pull the filler neck out of the tank you are not going to get soaked in fuel. Im pretty sure you can pull the line at the sender, attach a hose and with a siphon pump to get it started, start filling your old gas can.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"I was thinking siphoning it through the return line inlet on the sender."

This method will probably get you real close to empty. Empty enough at least that when you pull the filler neck out of the tank you are not going to get soaked in fuel. Im pretty sure you can pull the line at the sender, attach a hose and with a siphon pump to get it started, start filling your old gas can.
That would be the return feed on the right, yes?

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Pull the filler tube and replace it with your siphon. You can also hot wire the fuel pump and disconnect the feed hose to the fuel rail. You may burn out the pump with this method.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the filler tube and replace it with your siphon. You can also hot wire the fuel pump and disconnect the feed hose to the fuel rail. You may burn out the pump with this method.
Unfortunately, to remove the filler tube, the tank has to be loosened and lowered on the bumper side.
The tank is full, so doing that gets a healthy dose of gas spilling all over.
I know, we tried it....not fun.

I was thinking about running the pump, but as you said, it could burn it out.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Jack up the right side of the car and pull the right rear wheel and strut. Then you can work outnthe filler tube. I’ve done it on my L bodies several times.
Youre going to have some fuel spill, theres no way around that.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jack up the right side of the car and pull the right rear wheel and strut. Then you can work outnthe filler tube. I’ve done it on my L bodies several times.
Thanks, I’ll try that.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I’ll try that.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to both you guys for the input.

Well, we first tried siphoning from the return one inlet on the sender, then the fuel outlet from the sender.
Nothing.
We tried turning the Key and using the pump and only got spurts while cycling the key on/off.
So we tried what ajakeski said.

Took the right rear shock out.
Removed the 3/16” vapor hose at the metal pipe.
Removed the 5/16” fuel line at the sender.
Removed the 1/4” return line at the sender.
Supported the tank with a floor jack and plywood to support the tank.
Took the fuel cap off and removed the 3 screws holding the filler tube to the quarter panel.
Loosened the tank straps using a 1/4” drive 13mm deep socket, short extension and universal joint.
Dropped the pan several inches.
Turned the filler tube counter clockwise, then dropped it down, and out.
As it turned out, there was only 7 gallons in the tank and no gas spilled out.
Removed the tank straps.
Lowered the floor jack and slid the tank down to the rear and out.

Notes:
Stabil really works well.
Permatex makes a gasket sealer specifically for gas and all other harsh fluids.
I used it to seal the grommet at the top of the tank and the donut on the rear where the filler tube goes in.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You could have just ran a 12 volt jumper wire to positive side of coil. This will energize the fuel pump. Disconnect fuel feed line underhood and drain into gas cans. This will not hurt the fuel pump in any way. Been doing that for 30+ years every year when I put my several cars into storage. I fill with fresh non-oxy fuel when put into storage.
BTW- Some sender assemblies have a rubber plug on a third nipple. This is the siphon port.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could have just ran a 12 volt jumper wire to positive side of coil. This will energize the fuel pump. Disconnect fuel feed line underhood and drain into gas cans. This will not hurt the fuel pump in any way. Been doing that for 30+ years every year when I put my several cars into storage. I fill with fresh non-oxy fuel when put into storage.
BTW- Some sender assemblies have a rubber plug on a third nipple. This is the siphon port.
Thanks Todd, I’ll try that next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts