Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to inherit a 1984 shelby charger from a friend with the HO carbed engine and I'm a newbie to carbed setups. I've been doing a little research and everyone talks about dual carb setups and or sidedraft carb setups. What exactly is the difference and which would be the best way to go with this car. It's not going to be a daily driver, but I still want to take it out and have fun with without losing the complete driveability. Also, where would I find a setup that would bolt right up to the motor I have with little or no modification. Also, does anyone have pics of both setups so I can visualize the difference. Any help would be great. It seems like most people talk as if this is the way to make decent horsepower with this motor. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Here is some info for you and a pic of a dual side draft setup. It is not one or the other.
A side draft is just a carb that is designed with the air intake on the side, downdraft
has air intake on top (conventional). You can have dual side or top draft carbs on a
particular setup. You can also run just a single side draft. The dual setup is expensive
and if they are not syncronized correctly they can be a pain, but if setup correctly they
make great power.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f56/123308-dual-carb.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that dual carb setup. Do you know of anyone who makes that as a bolt on. I head of pierce manifolds, but I believe you have to modify the linkage unless they sell a modified linkage with it. Either that or a sidedraft intake. Just trying to find some good upgrades to the motor.

·
Registered
626 Posts
-ebay
-weber reseller ($$$) and usually is set up with correct jetting for your application. And intakes already made for the these 4 cyl heads.
-and ask around.

Be famillar with carbs tinkering. 2 x carbs is 4x pain unless you have correct tools especially with a flow meter, not the bobbing red ball, it's inaccurate, get one that weber recommands.

Have you considered using single carb that's dual barrel side draft or downdraft carb instead of two? with each barrel feeding 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 seperately? This needs a custom intake made.

Cheers, Wizard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts