Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
1989-95 N/A or Turbo cam and rockers is fine.

They basically never wear out and used OEM is best.

I noticed a nice higher RPM bump on my stock 1986 GLHS.

Not because the cam is wilder but this combo retards the cam.

Retarding the cam helps our Engines considerably at higher RPM.

A bigger cam is the last thing to do on our Engines for improvement.

With our flimsy transmissions we don't want any bottom end increase.

It's just a lucky set of circumstances how the newer cam helps us.

Aside from that, your cam wearing problems will be over!!

I'm not so sure about your mechanic!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
87 CSX, 88 Shadow, 89 CSX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mechanic is actually the best around. Seems the other guys around here either rip people off or blame every possible mechanical issue on the fuel pump. Trust me lol I've been to allot of them before I settled on this one.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Previous post about your mechanic.

Thanks
Randy
"BTW, those bolts for the oil pan I was sent, my mechanic didn't use them. He said there are no bolts on the oil pan... what the? No bolts? How does it stay together with no bolts???""

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Whoa. :oops:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I was talking to a truck driver at work who introduced me to a guy, who introduced me to another guy who gave me the number for the guy who is on this site. Steven somebody
I guess ill be calling him about the camshaft and rockers. There's a guy in Bluefield he works with might have those parts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Ticking" could be a hydraulic lifter sticking, caused by deposits and dirty oil, but I hope it is not a "rattle." Under load going up a hill sounds more like a loose rod bearing, but I hope that's not the problem, but if you hear the rattle just at the moment of the shift, or a tapping as the rpm gets higher, I would worry about throwing a rod. An oil change may be the best prevention, and use 20w-50, not 5w-30w! The heat from the turbo can break down motor oil fast, so an oil change would guarantee that the right type of oil is being used, not something so thin than it offers little protection to the extreme pressure a turbo can place on the rod bearings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
"Ticking" could be a hydraulic lifter sticking, caused by deposits and dirty oil, but I hope it is not a "rattle." Under load going up a hill sounds more like a loose rod bearing, but I hope that's not the problem, but if you hear the rattle just at the moment of the shift, or a tapping as the rpm gets higher, I would worry about throwing a rod. An oil change may be the best prevention, and use 20w-50, not 5w-30w! The heat from the turbo can break down motor oil fast, so an oil change would guarantee that the right type of oil is being used, not something so thin than it offers little protection to the extreme pressure a turbo can place on the rod bearings.
I used 20w50, but I don't know about the previous owner. I placed my order for a 1988 camshaft and some pt cruiser lifters with shims etc. I hear it makes for a good upgrade so I'll see what happens

21 - 27 of 27 Posts