Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I was wondering who out there is still doing the ecu programming for the turbo dodge cars. Years ago I came across a scocketed ecu that you can replace the chips on so it would me nice to find someone that works with those as well.

thanks

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Or if you want to try your self.
MPTune can be used to create the chip bin file.
You can also add a flashable module you can change tunes from the cabin from a computer or even a Android phone

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if I wanted to start doing my self what hardware would I need to connect to the computer to flash it?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
The flashable module plugs into an existing socketed ECU but is dependant on the ECU and how the person socketed,
LM - not flashable but you can swap chips or use ostrich,
SMEC- needs #11 pin modification and wires for A15,RW and PRG line as per Main Page - The Merkur Wiki
SBEC needs 32pin socketing not 28pin. SBEC2 is similar.

Let me know if you need more info, I have links available.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmmm...

I have an SMEC I think. Might need to see if it has been rewired or repinned.

How hard is it to find another one if the one I have happens to be bad?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Granted, if it was rewired that's outside the SMEC unit right?

I'm trying to see that I can get a car started but it's a big mess. Some things got cut that shouldn't have, it sat around for a few years and may have gone bad and I need to trace a ton of wires to see if I can figure out if something is broken or missing.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Granted, if it was rewired that's outside the SMEC unit right?

I'm trying to see that I can get a car started but it's a big mess. Some things got cut that shouldn't have, it sat around for a few years and may have gone bad and I need to trace a ton of wires to see if I can figure out if something is broken or missing.
If you need wiring diagrams let us know

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
If needed I can send you wiring on Monday.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
Just checking invade you need more info...
This is a TBI car, not a turbo car?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Like the actual engine harness complete?

I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to rebuild the whole harness. Didn't get as much done today as I'd like.

I need,
Coil wiring,
Alternator wiring,
Tach signal,
Oil pressure,
Water Temp,
Tach signal wiring,
Fuel pump can be separate wiring,

There's some sort of ASD thing I don't understand yet and something else.
Basically the minimal needed to run the engine for a race car.

Some stuff has to hook up to the square thing to feed the inside gauge cluster...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just checking invade you need more info...
This is a TBI car, not a turbo car?
Invade?

It's a 1985 frame, i believe a 1985 2.2 motor, 525 5 speed tranny, with Carburetor on the engine. And somehow setup to run by a 1989 L body M/T 2.2 TBI computer. SMEC has 5234928 on it. 655 on the chip inside it.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
That was supposed to be "incase", stupid auto correct.

I have no idea how they are using A SMEC to run a carbureted engine unless they are only using it for ignition and fuel pump.
There is nothing in a carburetor for a computer to control unless you are concerned about emissions and it is a feedback carb, even then the carb itself has more control over fueling than the M/C solenoid.

Exactly what are they controlling?
Do you have pics of this engine and the distributor?
Does this engine have a fuel injected distributor?
Is this setup using an electric fuel pump?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would be very inclined to believe it runs the fuel pump and the ignition and that's it. Some electrical data probably flows through on the way to the guage cluster too.

I can go take a ton of pictures for your benefit here.

Yep, Electric fuel pump (not sure if in the gas tank at the moment, but I am chasing spark currently). I think I have the fuel pump for it on the shelf and unit in it only has 3 pin connector so that's fuel sender only right?

I'll post 4 pictures of the gas pump I think I need to get into the fuel tank. Pretty sure it came out of the red race car chassis. After I post this I'll hitnup the shower and get food and I can go back and forth on here with a ton of pictures.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
I can help you get this engine running and running properly, in order to do this I need to know exactly what we are working with.
The main thing I need to know is if the 85 engine we are working with was originally a 2.2L TBI engine or was always a 2.2L carbureted engine, the ignition systems/spark advance schedules are completely different and controlled completely different between the two.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
That is why I asked for a pic of the distributor as a whole and with the cap off.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts