Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
If I am reading the part number on the pickup assembly correctly, 5226531,:that is not a good number, it is not in the Chrysler Parts Catalog and does not cross on any sites.
Can you locate a Chrysler part number on the distributor itself?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pin 2 on the 14 and pin 5 on the 60 connector say "signal ground from top rear of the engine". Circuit K5.

How important is it that it be on the engine rather then say the strut tower?

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
As long as all controller ground circuits have less than 5 ohms continuity to ground you are good.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Last one for a bit. Weather here sucks. Been very windy 3 out of 4 days. Today it's decided to rain lightly with thunderstorms coming now.

I gotta roll out to Lumsden and change some bolts on a Honda Accord, meeting just under 5 hours from now.

It might be clear 6 hours from now.

I've got tomorrow off too. Might have to carry on then. Just need to track down more of this wiring problems till I get it all figured out.

I'm 99% sure I added to my problem by hooking up the polarity backwards but I'm reasonably confident I can get a 5234928 unit which I might have damaged.

·
Registered
134 Posts

So something pulled out of a 1989 something to go with the SMEC from a 1989....

How hard would it be to just set this up without electronics? Make it old carb style setup? And how much power would I be giving up without electronic spark advance?

These race car guys before me were likely pretty smart with what they are doing.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
The part listed on eBay is incorrect.
There is a thread in the Carbureted/ TBI section on replacing the ESC system with the Volkswagen 1.7L distributor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honda Accord project shelved till tomorrow. Rain abating in about an hour. Meeting 3 hours from now.

I'll get another hour or two tracing wires in a bit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So, traced all the wires on the 14 pin connector. Not really any surprises there. Pin 9 only one cut off and not much of a Surprise. That's Fuel injector driver output AMD this thing has no Fuel injectors.

Pin 4 should always have power, and 12V.
Pin 3 looks like it's providing power out. To the logic board and ASD Relay.

What exactly does this ASD relay do?

I'm gonna start tracing the 60 pin connectors now. See what I find.

Added 4 more pictures to that gallery of the paperwork tracking this stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok, might be onto something.
Was tracing (60-3). That's sixty pin connector - number 3 pin. It went to the coolant temperature sensor correctly as expected. Tried tracing the other side of it which is a BK/LB* wire. Should be sensor ground I think. It splices with something coming out of the 3 pin connector of the cap/distributor thing. They are both BK/LB*. then follow from the splice and it appears to not go back to anywhere that it belongs too.

So maybe coil and water temp sensor both aren't getting grounded right now.

And then (60-4) is cut. Listed as "Signal ground to sensors". Also BK/LB*.

Circuit N5. Gonna try to look that up.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Look at post #10 here...

Trying to find all the wiring diagrams for N5. Cause BK/LB* out of water temperature sensor and the 3 pin connector of the Cap/Distributor splice together and I think they should go to Pin 4 of the 60 pin connector but don't...

Would explain a bunch of stuff in a hurry.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
The ASD Relay (Auto Shutdown Relay) is a safety device.
In the event of an accident where the engine stops running all power to the fuel and ignition system will stop to prevent a fire.
The ASD Relay supplies power to the Injectors, fuel pump and + coil.(HO2S and alternator on some later vehicles)
The engine controller controls the ground side of the relay.
The engine controller must see a crank/rpm signal and fuel sync signal (on turbo cars) from the HEP before it will actuate the ASD relay.

PM being sent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmm...

So I actually don't need it in the race car. Coil could be on a switch, fuel pump on a switch, master kill on everything.

What Pin on the 60 pin connector I wonder. Thing is all hacked up, for extra fun...

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
You can post pics right in your post using the attachment button(paper clip) at the bottom of the screen.
Your sensors will only be needed to prevent the SMEC from seeing a fault on the circuit and for certain devices to function properly, they will not be used as fuel control although the SMEC will still be looking for the proper voltages from those sensors.
CTS will only function as cooling fan control.
MAP sensors only function will be for Spark Advance.
VSS is not needed.
AIS is not needed although the SMEC does have a target idle table which it will be looking at along with other sensor input.
TPS is not needed but the SMEC will be looking for it.

Your main concern should be that you will lose Spark Advance if the SMEC see's a hard fault and goes into Failure (limp in mode), since you do not have a CEL and I am assuming no diagnostic connector you will never know if there are any faults present, you may not even notice any difference in the way the engine runs, the only telltale sign you may have that there is a hard fault is the cooling fan will run constantly.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts