Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can get a good deal on a egt guage locally, i already have fule pressure, a/f oil and temp, but i woundering if a egt would be usefull on a n/a motor,

would it help me tune my megasquirt?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Exhaust Gas Temperature can tell you many things, in conjunction with other sensors/gauges. Depending on the A/F, the EGT can tell you if you're too lean or too rich. Not only that, it can tell you if you're too advanced or retarded with your cam timing or ignition timing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The expensive part of some egt systems is the sensors. They're used alot in aviation, make sure you do your homework on what that gauge goes for new before you buy it to know if you're getting a deal.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wideband is most important, but an EGT is a nice compliment to the wideband especially if have a standalone, but not necessary like the wideband is. With a N/A motor I personally would not waste my time/money with EGT

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put one on Matchbox that I used to have on a turbo car....I was melting pistons....but car was fine on track.....I was too lean on the primary side and when I'd hit speeds over 75 my egts were going nuclear. I jetted accorfingly and used the gauge as a tuning tool. Don't be cheap, mine is a big digital one that recalls highest reading until reset. Family software has one that reads 6 times/second!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
With them I think more about the "oh crap" gauge that lets you know that even though you think your tune is safe..its getting to hot and you probably want to let off no matter how good your a/f looks.

And is this Angelo Taylors return?

·
Registered
353 Posts
With them I think more about the "oh crap" gauge that lets you know that even though you think your tune is safe..its getting to hot and you probably want to let off no matter how good your a/f looks.

And is this Angelo Taylors return?
For the best EGTgauge go to:
Drag Racing - Family Software Computers and Software

For the least expensive digital one go to: MSI Home

I AM BACK! I had been turboless since a divorce in 01 so now I have a SRT4 and STILL have old Matchbox, now with 267,000 miles and a bone stock 2.5 that is so stock if I shift at 5000 rpm it slows down!

Last three years I have been running special events...."domestic/compact races....BUT I AM HUNGRY....I will be racing full time at INDY starting Saturday. Last year was the only year since 1984 that I did not win a championship....yeah, I am 57....but I am not done by no means....just ask my 21 MONTH old son!!!! (Not a misprint);)

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Hi Angelo! It has been a while since I have seen you running around Kokomo. Still have the Neon Matchbox? Congratulations on the son!

My 3L Voyager is down for some cylinder head re-porting. I have been toying with putting some EGT sensors in. Possibly as many as 6... So I have been doing a little research on this... (also for the rebirth of Stein)

Looking at the article, I thought putting the probe in a header pipe like they show was a no no. The reading (cylinder to cylinder) very too much. Instead you are suppsed to put it in a flange.

For cheaper probes go to Aircraft Spruce MICRO-1000 EGT PROBES - 1/8 NPT from Aircraft Spruce MICRO-1000 EGT PROBES (CLAMP ON TYPE) from Aircraft Spruce

For cheaper readers go to Omega Temperature Meter with Alarm or On/Off Control (12v, K-type, reading Degrees C.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.