Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed restoration on 85 GLH Omni. All is great for now, but the fan not coming on. I've used 3 known good relays, relay is clicking when disconnecting temp sensor at t-stat. Fan is good, have fed 12 volts to it, can bypass relay. Followed and traced all wiring to ECU in kickpanel(pin21), grounded it, relay clicked, but didn't get fan on.

No A/C installed, defrost/A/C switches will also NOT kick fan on.

I've checked continuity at all wires in FSM coming from Relay to Fan and ECU, all seem good, not green or corroded and are sound connections. Grounds are also good.

Not really sure what else to do other than run a on/off switch into the car w/ a fuse, but that'll be a PITA remembering to turn on and off all the time, esp when temps are in the 90s still.

any help would be much appreciated. Been a long 8 months restoring, now to ensure I can drive it w/o out overheating it.. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Hmmm.
We could try a few simplet things if you've got a volt/ohm meter...

1. If you disconnect the connector at the relay and apply 12+volts to the power wire going down to the fan, do you see the 12+ volts at the fan connector?
yes/no

2. Do you have a ground if you check for ground at the fan connector on the harness side?
yes/no

3. Is the power wire at the relay that is going to the fan connected to the pin that goes hot (12+) when the relay is energized?
yes/no

I'm not sure the AC controls will actuate the fan if the AC compressor is not present. And there are two switches in the system passenger side firewall that are in series to control if the compressor can or can not be allowed to run. There is the pressure switch and the thermo-couple switch. They are wired in series and when those circuits are closed, the AC compressor can run.

If the answer is yes to questions 1-3, then the fault would have to be in the relay or the low side wiring.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wired mine to a key on hot and ran the ground to a fan switch that fit in the radiator and grounds when it activates. Little switch is 5 bucks ish for a piece chinasian tech.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help, after pulling the wiring harness behind the battery apart, I found that the constant 12v to the gray wire was dead and found a broken 12v wire coming from the "Y" connector coming from the POS battery terminal to a fusable link broken. wired back up from fusable link to battery and all is good! thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts