Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 LeBaron Convertible

With key on: Power windows and top work fine.

With the car running: Power windows and top do not work at all.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
sounds like the ignition switch box, not letting power through when engine is started

did you check the breakers even though it works with the key ON

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
If this has not been resolved I will get back to you this evening.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the lock cylinder as the car had no keys when we bought it. However, the dash was already in it's current state of dis-assembly.

Key in the accessory position fails to turn on the clock in the radio also.

With the car running and the top switch depressed I can hear one of the relays make a slight bit of noise. Switched the power window breaker with a 30 amp ATO same. condition.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
i was actually talking about the actual black ignition module thats either behind the key cylinder or under the dash, but if your radio clock does not come on that means your losing switched power to it, does everything work when the key is on ACC

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
it could be the ign switch under the dash on top of the collum or possiably somthing about the link rod from the key cylinder to the switch

can you remove the ign switch from the collum and try to activiate it's diff positions without useing the key and the link rod - that should at least tell you if the switch it's self is good

as you changed the lock cylinder somthing could be amiss with the conection to the link rod or the rod may have been bent

I know the link rod for the high / low beam switch can have issues so it's not unlikely the ign switch link rod could have an issue too

ps , I think your pic shows the high/low switch and rod - right?

question , does this car have tilt steering wheel , and does it wobble around ?

·
Administrator
24,996 Posts
Key on/engine off and key on/engine running the ignition switch would be in the same position.
My guess would be that the switch is not returning fully to the "on" position from the "start" position.
Your switch should be located on the lower steering column and uses a rod that runs from the key cylinder to the switch.
The switch is adjustable and be sure the rod is not binding or the switch is not damaged.

Duralast/Ignition Switch (LS502) | 1984 Chrysler New Yorker 4 Cylinders E 2.2L FI Turbo | AutoZone.com

Duralast/Ignition Switch (LS501) | 1984 Chrysler New Yorker 4 Cylinders E 2.2L FI Turbo | AutoZone.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts