Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Daytona with a mechanical cluster. I found an electronic cluster and installed it using factory service manuals to match wiring. It works with the exception of the fuel and temp gauges, which peg out. Rechecked wiring and swapped body computers...same thing. I would be greatful for any feedback that would help resolve this. Thanks!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the fuel and temp gauge are pegged high the signal line(s) from the sending units to the cluster are grounded.
Thanks for your response....the manual gauges work, so I doubt it would be a grounding issue with the sending units. However, I will check to be sure there is no grounding issue with the B+/- data link from the body computer ( which is what supplies gauge input).

· Registered
79 Posts
I know this is a horse of another color, my 87 baron has the digi dash. And when I bought it the fuel guage very seldomly worked. All the other guages seemed to work fine at least I thought. Well I tore the damn car apart looking for a break in a wire or something. After coming to my senses and checking continuity in the harness I knew the gremlins lay in the cluster. Sure enough, I went down the local pick a part and yanked a cluster out of a daytona and everythings been peachy since. However I did like the oil pressure reading on the other cluster better, it always stayed up in the 80-90 percent region.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this is a horse of another color, my 87 baron has the digi dash. And when I bought it the fuel guage very seldomly worked. All the other guages seemed to work fine at least I thought. Well I tore the damn car apart looking for a break in a wire or something. After coming to my senses and checking continuity in the harness I knew the gremlins lay in the cluster. Sure enough, I went down the local pick a part and yanked a cluster out of a daytona and everythings been peachy since. However I did like the oil pressure reading on the other cluster better, it always stayed up in the 80-90 percent region.
I have an 87 Shelby Z. I've put electronic clusters in it with out a problem. I also have a second cluster for the 90, it does the same. The wiring is different in the 87 and 90. I went back to the junkyard and pulled the body computer from the car that I got the cluster out of. It gives me no gauge readings. The orginal body computer works fine (tach, oil, amp, etc.) except for fuel and water. All the info to the cluster should be via data B+/- line. So I'm not sure if the the body computer has a differents between models with or with out the cluster. Didn't seem to make a difference in the 87.

· Administrator
26,460 Posts
Here is the start of Chryslers Electonic Cluster Diagnostics.
There are also flow charts for fuel and temp gauges not functioning properly.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re:FREE - Electronic Gauge Cluster

I don't seem to being getting much feedback about getting the electronic cluster working. So...here is the deal for anyone interested. I have two electronice clusters. Both in working order with no fault codes. I will give one of them FREE ( include shipping) to the person who can provide with the info, part, etc. that will get me a functioning one in my car (90 Daytona ES). I have tried both of them. I get the same problem. Fuel gauge shows full (half a tank),and water temp shows 3/4 high (cold engine). All other funtions appear to work correctly, including oil/amp. gauges, tach. speed,warning lights, etc.

What I have done so far; Tried both dashes, using factory manual -matched wiring to conform with both J & G models (Le Baron/Daytona) I have tried four body computers (2 out of J models & 2 out of G models), and the mech. cluster works fine on all gauges.

Note: Not all of the body computers showed the same problem in relation to the issue I am having.
J body #1 computer from same car I remove one of the elctronic clusters from shows no gauge function at all. I am assuming it is bad.
J body #2 computer shows the gauge problem noted above, then after a few minutes oil and temp drop to zero and warning lights start blinking.
G body #1 computer same as J body #2 (except this is a computer that was rebuilt last year).
G body #2 computer shows issue noted above, however, gauges remain functioning unlike G #1 and G #2.

I feel it my be a body computer issue, but how to know that or know which computer would work with the cluster? I have traced the wiring and do not find but a couple of differences between the J & G, and I have made the corrections with no change in the results. So I don,t think the wiring harness is the issue. Currently, I back with the mech. cluster which is working fine.

So... any takers?

Randy

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does the cluster have good grounds? as there are 2 on the digi and 1 on the analog. Have you tried another water temp sensor? As you should know the gauges are mostly dummy gauges as they are not calibrated very well.
Thanks for getting touch. The digi dash has only one ground that I can see on my chrysler wiring diagram; pin 7 of the red plug. There is only one wire that does not have a match on the analog plug. That is pin 11, low beam. If you know of another ground point, let me know. Although, the gauges may not be calibrated ( I also have at set of mech. gauges in my center console), the point of doing this is to have a cool dash that functions. I could get by with limited function on water, oil, amp, but I need to know that I can count on my full gauge. I thought about going back to the car I got the cluster out of and pulling the harness, but thats a lot of work both ways, to not know if that would solve the problem. Plus, from tracing the wiring diagram, I don't see much difference.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the trouble you went to in scanning and sending this info. This looks like a wiring digram from a J car. The DB/WT 12v line to the natural plug is not on the G body diagram. I did jump to those points and the 12v is there. I have been looking it over and will check a few things. However, it would seem to me that if the mech. cluster gauges are functioning, it would not be a sensor or wiring problem feeding info to the body computer. I believe that it is the B+/b- lines which feed data to the elect. cluster. Which brings us back to the body computer or something with connecting the elect. cluster to the mech. connections. But what it is.....?

· Administrator
26,460 Posts
I have never swapped a cluster so i do not know.
The info came directly from a 1990 Chrysler Body Diagnostics Manual for AG/AJ body and there are not seperate diagnostics for AG/AJ.
There is not even a difference between BCM's they either have a premium or base.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you mean by a premium or base BCM? The only difference I've seen in the wiring between a G and J is that the DB/WT wire feeds into three pins ( 10, 11, 12) on the natural connector. It only feeds to pin 12 black on the G body. Also I noted that the oil input and the water temp feed into pins 22/23 on the natural. On the G body they feed to the cluster ( mech.). I re-directed those to the body computer, but it made no difference.

· Registered
147 Posts
Interesting……..I just bought one of these off eBay and it does the same thing that you described. The gas gauge pegs out and the temp reads 3/4ths with engine cold. So you ripped me off and sold me a bogus dash:mad:………wow should have seen that coming. Well I’m going to keep tinkering with it and see if I can get it to work. If possible can somebody steer me in the right direction to where the wiring diagrams would be for a (1990 year) electronic cluster and wiring diagrams for a 93 Dodge Daytona cluster and body computer. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.