Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to start out, I finally got my car back up and running after a long list of unfortunate accidents. Well, I got it to running, and got everything going. And when the car was sitting still, and still so after everything is said and done, it revs fine, with the transmission in neutral. But when I got out on the road, I would slightly push on the gas, and it would go fine, but if I pushed much further, it would cut out and sometimes almost feel like it sputters. But it looses all power and is unable to push the car anymore, but when I let off, it returns to proper function, until I push on the gas too much again. I was wondering what it may be. I know I have had this problem before, but I forgot what the problem was. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a boost gauge, I will check that tomorrow when there is light out. I forgot to add, the car is basically an 87 GLHS, since that is the wiring harness and engine that I have in the car. Any other possibilities?

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
Start with basics,
Cam and Ignition timing, Ignition System Condition and Fuel Pressure.
Sounds like you have a misfire condition under load.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, went out and looked at the components, found that the purge line from the TB to the Solenoid was disconnected, and that helped solve some of the problems. But now the only time that I have a cut out of power is WOT, and it just feels like it stops. What may that be, I also noticed it was a little higher idle as well. I was thinking maybe TPS, but I really don't want to replace that if I don't have to.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Go back and set it at base idle. Check your vacuum lines over and make sure nothing else is out of place or unplugged. Any mods? Overboosting? Maybe wiring?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how would you set it back to base idle, I have not messed with any of the idle so it would be basically back to what the GLHS was. In terms of mods, it has a TBI cam and all T2 parts in a modified N/A CB and a modified TBI valve cover, other than that, it is basically a stock GLHS engine

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
Read the "sticky" in the "help" section titled "help with poor idle". The procedure is in there. The only difference will be if you are using an older TB/AIS is it will have 3 gears instead of a pintle, other than that everything is the same.
Depending on how high your idle is it may be a vacuum leak problem rather than a base idle problem.
A central vacuum leak allows more air to enter, Map reads lower vacuum(more air) and the controller increases injector pulse width( more fuel), more air + more fuel = higher idle speed.
The larger the vacuum leak the higher the idle will be.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I went through and found out that I had both a leak in once of my extra stock vacuum lines that was capped, and that the engine had a bad fuel filter, so I fixed both, and it runs great. Thanks for the help everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts