Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 2.2 T2 Automatic

When I start the car - if I drop it in gear without giving it any gas it stalls the engine out. If I give it a LITTLE gas and I drop it in gear it comes close to stalling out but doesn't quite.

I hear a squeak squeak when I first put it in gear and the idle gets pretty low and then comes up to where it should be.

Is this because it's a 2.2 T2 computer (manual) for an automatic drivetrain or do I have other problems boiling?

Once it's been run (warmed up) I can start it up and drop it in gear without worries - it only does this once it's cooled off.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
....its kinda weird, but our 1997 Dodge Ramvan 3500 does the exact thing....let it warm up and it doesn't do it...but on cold starts, (not every time either) it will stall when you put it in drive....I don't think that is normal....

·
Registered
789 Posts
Mike, make sure the ais motor is clean and try setting the idle w/out using the ais motor to make any adjustment. The way to do this (going off memory) is to pull a large hose like the brake booster line off which will create a high vac.. Then unplug the ais motor and re-attach the brake boost hose. Now set the idle with the set screw. After thats done turn off the car and re-attach the ais connector. You might want to uplug the computer so it can adjust but I don't think it's really necessary. Let me know if that works.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already did that Vaughn - only problem is that I have a digital dash so it's really hard to aim for the correct RPM.

I cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and a toothbrush of any carbon build up and set the idle to 800~900ish RPM (Minimum idle airflow) with the AIS closed.

Then I shut it off, plugged in the AIS and started it up - it idles wonderfully in gear but when in park or neutral it goes from 900~1000 (again, guessing due to digital dash) it's very obvious that it's not holding a steady idle in neutral/park and you can see it on the dash cause it goes from the the light just under 1k to the light actually over the 1k.

edit: is removing the AIS feasable or do I run a big risk of killing it? It's a $60 part I'd rather not replace at this point in time.

Mike

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The alternator on it is getting wore out - when the rad fan comes on the idle drops down a little - not quite enough to stall it out but pretty close. I'm sure a hard-to-spin alternator on top of dropping a non-warmed up tranny in gear on a cold engine could stall it.

I'm going to see if the one off of my spirit will swap or if I will have to get a new one. Hopefully a new alt will help things out a bit get rid of that squeeky squeeky =)

Mike

·
Registered
789 Posts
You could hook up a external alt. and see if that give you more volts. The computer controls the output of voltage and maybe the alt. is great, just the internal regulator. If you want to go this route let me know and I will help out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it the Power Module or the Logic Module that controls the alternator?

I know the alternator on it is used because it says 89 Shadow on it in yellow paint but it's an 87 LeBaron =)

The Logic Module is brand new - power module is the pre-existing unit.

Today I started it up and when I went to put the windows down it died!!!

Mike

·
Registered
789 Posts
Power mod. Check the batt. to see what kind of voltage is there. 14 +/- some is normal. If you are in the 12's look for a bad alt. or the batt. is shot. so you could do a test at the alt. to see what the output is. Look for loose wires on the alt. or a broken wire. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put a brand new bat and alternator on there - got rid of the dies when I turn the headlights on or the rad fan comes on ...

Still dieing when I drop it in gear unless I rev it to about 2krpm...

It seems as though the tranny is putting a super-heavy-load on the engine when it's cold or like it's difficult for the engine to get the transmission in motion - but with the fluid coupling I wouldn't think it'd have that kind of effect - take a second to spin up the tranny ...

May drain and flush the tranny and install a new filter and see if that helps.

I'm also gonna pull the AIS and clean it.

Mike

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also when I first put it in gear after staring I have to rev it to about 2 grand before I do - otherwise it stalls the engine. When I drop it in gear it goes "kerTHUNK" and the car lurches a small bit. It doesn't seem to do this when warmed up - I can swap gears without a problem.

Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
sounds to me like your car may have the pinky syndrome, this is where i love these forums :D pinky does this very same thing, i linked mine to a faulty cord (Thanks Lone Eagle) whic went to cruise control, somehow the cable was holding throttle too high, once i got that off and saw where idle REALLY was, i ended up changing the ais and TPS, which fixed this issue, until the HG problem that is.

-FyRE-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts