Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been noticing while going around turns that my engine light comes on. first thing i did was check my oil. i was a little low but not much. added more and went driving, its still doing it.
ran my codes and got 11-12-55 but 12 and 55 are normal. i dont see how 12 would affect my engine light while takin a turn.

and next problem i filled my tank today and my gauge is stuck on empty. i really dont want to have to drop the tank again in this cold anything i can do to get the float or whatever is messed up to work

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Which light is coming on?
A Power Loss/Check Engine Lamp or a Warning Lamp/Check Gauges Lamp indication an Oil Pressure/Temp/Voltage problem?

Actually Code 12 is only normal if you recently disconnected the battery.

Code 11 is engine not cranked since battery disconnect.

Code 12 is battery feed lost to engine controller.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Code 11 - Distributor signal circuit. No check engine light will post.

When monitored
- Only during cranking.
When placed in memory - If no signal is present since memory was last cleared.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Code 11 will be erased from memory as soon as the controller see's a crank signal and the car starts.
That is the easiest way on an 85-87 no start to determine if you have a HEP issue.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Thanks JAN, Dennis

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i meant to say i dont see how code 11 would affect the engine light. the light is one of the only 4 lights in my dash (brake, power, engine, battery). it only says engine so i assume that would be check engine. everytime i reset codes 12 never goes away. but i disconnect the battery often but i dont believe its less than every 50 ignition starts. will clear codes again later and see if there still present.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
85 uses a Power Loss Lamp not Check Engine.
The Engine Lamp you are referring to is probably for Oil Pressure or Temp.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i guess time to find this oil leak, i know i have plenty of oil because i check it every day and fill when needed. but my head is wet so i have a bad feeling i need to another hg fix

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you have changed your Headgakset recently. I would advise doing a compression test while the head is on or do a leak down test. Also when the head is off check the head and block for flatness because changing headgasket alot probably have a warped head or block.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i replaced the headgasket about a year ago. My uncle helped us to the repair and he checked both the head and block for warpage both passed.
how do i and what do i use to do both tests.

·
Registered
718 Posts
This car has a "power limited" light and a "check gages" light in the dash.
The power lmited light is problems found in the engine electronics by the logic module.
The check gages light is triggered by a low or high reading on the gauges.
You could have a bad oil pressure sending unit that could cause this.
And also what weight motor oil are you using?
Don't use anything below 10W-30 in these engines.
As far as your head gasket hopefully that is not in need of replacement again.
Check for other sources of leaks after you do the compression test.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea when i make sure my oil is toped off every few days the light doesnt come on but if i got a little over a week without checking my oil the light comes on going around sharp turns.
i use castrol gtx 3W-30 motor oil. the manual to my car recomended 3W-30. i had been thinking 10 would have been better but then i thought during the winter 5 would be because it wouldnt get as thick in the cold. im going to check the torque on the head bolts maybe they need to be tightened a little. still need to find out how and get a little free time to do the compression and leak down tests

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
How much oil are you losing in a weeks times?
How many miles in a week?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess im driving about 225 miles a week, so during that week im prob loosing near 1/4 a quart

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
So losing a 1/4 to 1/2 a qt of oil makes the check gauges light come on when making turns?

If so you may want to install a mechanical gauge and check actual oil pressure.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thanks. im taking it to a shop so i can work on it. gonna start tearing the motor apart to make sure all lines are good and everything is torqued down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts