Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 2.2 liter turbo II motor out of a 1989 "shelby" daytona.I also have a 1984 2.2l turbo motor out of a turbo z. Other than the obvious differences in the intake and turbo setup whats the difference internally? Will the '84 head accept the newer intake? Are they different blocks? Which one would be better to build all in all? This will be my project engine and It will be setup for horsepower-around 350-420 hp if I get my stuff right. Any tips or tricks will be highly appreciated. The engine will be going in my 1989 daytona once the engine in it fails. Whats the recomended turbo for that type of hp? Are there any turbo headers out there that will bolt right up?What can I do to get it to that hp? thanks for the help

·
Banned
3 Posts
89+ are known as common blocks and are the strongest, but t2s had a forged crank. Your 84 is as weak as they come and are only good for about 220 HP. Build the 89, your going to want a t3/t4 hybrid, like a 50, 54 or maybe a 57 trim turbo with a .63 exhaust housing. Or a gt30r or a gt35r, also precision turbo makes some good models, all depends what you want to spend. Turbos unleashed makes a bolt on header.
Your going to want forged pistons, a wide band, a stg 5 cal 3bar, 3" exhaust, huge fmic, walbro 255 fuel pump and some arp hardware never hurt.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
I have a 1989 2.2 liter turbo II motor out of a 1989 "shelby" daytona.I also have a 1984 2.2l turbo motor out of a turbo z. Other than the obvious differences in the intake and turbo setup whats the difference internally? Will the '84 head accept the newer intake? Are they different blocks? Which one would be better to build all in all? This will be my project engine and It will be setup for horsepower-around 350-420 hp if I get my stuff right. Any tips or tricks will be highly appreciated. The engine will be going in my 1989 daytona once the engine in it fails. Whats the recomended turbo for that type of hp? Are there any turbo headers out there that will bolt right up?What can I do to get it to that hp? thanks for the help
89 is common block
84 and 89 TII have same rods, diferenc is in wrist pin design and rod caps on 84 are "thinner"
84 uses 287 casting (bathtub head) 89 uses 782 (fast burn/swirl head)
84 has different pistons than 89
84 has 6 bolt flywheel, 89 has 8
84 has 10mm headbolts, 89 has 11
84 has fuel block off plate, 89 CB does not
84 has different style water pump than 89 (reverse flow for CB motors)
all heads from 83? to 93 (2.2/2.5) will interchange, intake, exhaust manifolds, the whole thing

I would use the 84 head (2870 on the 89 build up, and get a cal made for the g-head, since they have different firing properties as compared to the 782's

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
89+ are known as common blocks and are the strongest, but t2s had a forged crank. Your 84 is as weak as they come and are only good for about 220 HP. Build the 89, your going to want a t3/t4 hybrid, like a 50, 54 or maybe a 57 trim turbo with a .63 exhaust housing. Or a gt30r or a gt35r, also precision turbo makes some good models, all depends what you want to spend. Turbos unleashed makes a bolt on header.
Your going to want forged pistons, a wide band, a stg 5 cal 3bar, 3" exhaust, huge fmic, walbro 255 fuel pump and some arp hardware never hurt.
just to set the record straight. The 84-85 is Not as weak as they come. They are in fact as strong as an 87 T2 except for the crank which even cast is plenty strong. You can make at least 300 hp safely. Still the 89 is the one to build. The Weakest of the bunch is the 86

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
89 is common block
84 and 89 TII have same rods, diferenc is in wrist pin design and rod caps on 84 are "thinner"
84 uses 287 casting (bathtub head) 89 uses 782 (fast burn/swirl head)
84 has different pistons than 89
84 has 6 bolt flywheel, 89 has 8
84 has 10mm headbolts, 89 has 11
84 has fuel block off plate, 89 CB does not
84 has different style water pump than 89 (reverse flow for CB motors)
all heads from 83? to 93 (2.2/2.5) will interchange, intake, exhaust manifolds, the whole thing

I would use the 84 head (2870 on the 89 build up, and get a cal made for the g-head, since they have different firing properties as compared to the 782's
For once we agree! Use the 287 head -an 88 TBI roller cam and the pt lifter setup.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
just to set the record straight. The 84-85 is Not as weak as they come. They are in fact as strong as an 87 T2 except for the crank which even cast is plenty strong. You can make at least 300 hp safely. Still the 89 is the one to build. The Weakest of the bunch is the 86
THANK YOU! YOU BEAT ME TO IT! way too often the early blocks are ripped on as being too weak when it really isnt the case at all. the rods are the same just missing full floating wrist pins in the 84-85 blocks, i have personally twisted an early block and lower rotating assy to upper 300's(373 hp) without an issue and sprayed the hell out of it with nitrous to boot. so i say get some facts and come back and see us.

·
Banned
3 Posts
the difference in head bolt size alone makes it weaker and makes the common block a better platform to build on.

yeah you can make more than 300whp on early all cast crap, but wtf would you want to for?
forged is far superior, thats why i rock r/t's.....forged ftw!

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
and rt's were developed from???? we cannot forget where we came from! the smaller head bolts were an easy fix too.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
and once upon a time there was no forged crank or custom calls or , or ..or they were still in new cars that ya could not afford to rip apart for pieces

man , I had 10-12 #s boost in my first build before I knew it should be 8 ish
(log mo with a bleed I didn't yet know wasen't suposed to be there)

and a 525 that never broke , somehow I got that first 1 right

add to that , I know how to pick my fights , as on the street , I swear I ain't never been beat

·
Banned
3 Posts
and rt's were developed from???? we cannot forget where we came from! the smaller head bolts were an easy fix too.
from forged parts lol. i know but im saying, he asked what the differences were and which was the better to build, i think we can all agree common block hands down, right?
still, why tap bigger head bolts when the common block is right there.
ive blown common blocks on low boost, for the 350ish whp he wants to make would you advise him to build the cb or tap bigger head bolts, bigger wrist pins and push it past most reasonable limits? forged slugs and arp is real nice around those hp numbers.

·
Banned
3 Posts
in the sbc world it would be like saying "i know you have a ls1 but just rebuild that old 92 350 van motor for your hot rod build."

·
Registered
70 Posts
ok the common block yes but the 84 head tapped to match a common block with the tubbed head style compare to the swirl means solid boost my first build on a 2.2 was all factory comonents from 84 to 91 none modified at all and ran 11.32 in a quarter using factory daytona parts yet i still call it luck but the old heads are great if you tap the heads for a common block using the roller rockers and hydrolic lifters of a 2.5 and the turbo cam from the 2.5

·
Banned
3 Posts
umm you dont need to "tap" the heads, you have to recal the ecu for the head or play with the timing alot to run low boost.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
what pistons would a guy use with the 89 block and 287 head and will a 1 peice intake manny be ok. to try to make 225 to 250 hp

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys for the info and I was just wondering if the transmission will hold up? the metal plate on top says a-555? So just mix and match parts off of both motors while using the common block is what im hearing. The crank and cam are both GONE from the previous owner(17 yr old girl) running without oil(I'm real glad it didnt dry seize) And im gonna buy brand new or reman parts for it anyways.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
with this motor I just want to leave those teenagers in their "tuner cars" in the DUST!!

oh and what kind of clutch should I use? I plan on getting the aluminum flywheel if you guys think those are good?

·
Banned
3 Posts
the a555 is a good trans and have held up well with high hp. maybe just add a chromoly plate for insurance and longetivity, a obx lsd if you want too.
the aluminum flywheel is just extra money and is really only good for shaving weight/making a few extra hp. your most lkely going to want a 4 puck and a good pressure plate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts