Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys building a 413 for my charger. will be run at track more than street. can i run an unequal lenght or should i go with equal. thanks mark

L

·
0 Posts
unequal all the way
Totally with you there! I really like when I had the bolts holding the I-shaft to the block stripped out and,ya,just imagine......

TIII cars,lots of boost,unequal length axels is the way I roll:D

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Totally with you there! I really like when I had the bolts holding the I-shaft to the block stripped out and,ya,just imagine......

TIII cars,lots of boost,unequal length axels is the way I roll:D
I dont have any personal experience w/ that but it has happened to a number of cars and trashes the block(cracks it)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
changing the passenger side axle from a two-piece axle (equal length design) to an single-piece axle (unequal length) eliminates 50% of the possible failure points on that axle, lightens the rotating assembly, and eliminates the possibility of destroying the block upon axle failure at high engine speeds.

go unequal.

L

·
0 Posts
anyone have a write up of equal to unequal. How easy will it be with the engine and transmission out(replacing engine)?
Um,ya,I do.....un-install bolts holding the intermediate axel shaft to the bracket mounted to block(13 mm head:D),then un-install complete axel assembly from vehical. Then un-install the two bolts attaching bracket to block(15mm head:D) and then install one piece long axel,converted:D

PS; Its really easy with the drivetrain out,forget to put intermediate axel shaft back onto block:D

Please dont take this offencively:)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I thought that the equal length set-up was to help cut down on torque steer. I still have the equal length on mine, no problems. Doesn't it help at ALL?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Um,ya,I do.....un-install bolts holding the intermediate axel shaft to the bracket mounted to block(13 mm head:D),then un-install complete axel assembly from vehical. Then un-install the two bolts attaching bracket to block(15mm head:D) and then install one piece long axel,converted:D

PS; Its really easy with the drivetrain out,forget to put intermediate axel shaft back onto block:D

Please dont take this offencively:)
None taken, just wanted to make sure it was really that easy :D Is there any downside to doing this? Also what vehicle can I get the long shaft from (I have an 87 Shelby Z with a 555)?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i'm totally against unequal shafts, why did chyrsler change it for the equal length set up? personally i dont mind my car going straight. unequal shafts are stronger but i would have to see somebody's numbers to prove it being worth it. there is no reason for the 2 bolts holding the Ishaft to the block to strip out. there are still a lot of ppl running equal lengths on big hp cars

·
Registered
489 Posts
I did notice a increase in torque steer going to unequal, but not much. Got car with a bad shaft, threw in another, broke again in same day, went to unequal, never had a issue again.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I switched over, since the intermediate shaft bearing was shot as was the boot on the axle. The carrier is no longer available and a new unequal is $90. No brainer for me. A few less pieces to fail. I say keep an eye on things and take action once things get sloppy.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
tork steer is a silly issue, yeah sure there might be a tad but even a 90 pound weakling can control it easily with one hand on the steering wheel. yes Mopar went unequal to make tork steer 0% but the change to steering feel at wide open throttle with unequal is just not that bad to take all the other risks/costs associated with equal length setup.

is there one TD running 12.00 or quicker that still has an intermediate shaft? none come to mind anyone know of one?

·
Registered
314 Posts
My bosses daytona, runs 9.5 in the 1/4
with equal length axles :)
course it's running a 9" ford rear and a nitrous fed 440.
but hey the axles are equal length.
lol, guess it doesn't coun't as a TD anymore though. it used to be originally :)
(just playing around, don't hate on me.)
I've been debating to eliminate my equal length setup on my 86 laser to swap over to a newer trans and axles. right now for a car I'm planning to keep stock just tossing in a weak 525 (freshly rebuilt) from an 86 L-body, I'll probaly keep the equal length since mine is in perfect shape as are the axles. hopefully if the intermediate shaft does tear loose it doesn't ruin my block with it. oh well it'll give me more reason to swap in a 2.5 Common Block and a 523. glad to see this "equal length vs unequal length" debate come up again.
answered the questions I had about it, even after reading the threads about it before.
thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts