Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my muffler has rusted off where the tailpipe connects, now the tailpipe is hanging there like a leaf on a tree. I didn't think this would be a big deal to have replaced but no one, not even the dealer, has a muffler on the shelf. Everywhere I call it is special order, 4 to 7 days. And the prices range from $104 to $298, dealer being the highest of course, and that is just for the muffler alone. What if I just have it replaced with a staight pipe, how much louder will it be? I'm also thinking about just replacing the whole exhaust, it is a bit rusty elsewhere too. No point in buying an exhaust system piece by piece. Seems like 5 years and 60k miles is a little soon to have this problem, I don't drive short distances on a regular basis that would cause excessive water.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That does seem pretty quick for the exhaust to rot away! (Michigan winters are deadly on metal though) I'd get a good aftermarket system and be done with it! Given that we live in MI, and they're salt happy up here, I'd also make sure the next exhaust is the last, and go with stainless steel. It will be louder without the muffler, but not as loud as a gas motor. If you have the means, fab yourself up a test pipe to try it out cut off the muffler and slide it in, attaching the exhaust back together. Drive it for a couple of days and see if the extra noise bothers you.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
No muffler will be pretty loud, depends on your definition of loud though. I've only heard 4'' straight pipe so maybe the stock 3'' will be slightly quieter. If you don't like it just go with a 4'' system, you will like the faster spool pf the turbo for sure!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The systems I've looked at bolt on from the turbo back and a lot of them use the stock hangers, I believe. Do most of these not use a resonator (I think that's what is in front of the muffler)? From the photos shown, looks like just pipe and a muffler. Even at the lowest cost of $104, I think it's still worth $500+ to have the whole new system. Plus I go up to 4" and it would have a lifetime guarantee. I'm still thinking about it.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Yeah no resonator, but it's OK the systems are not very loud with just a muffler. My bro has a 4'' system he got from bigexhaust.com and if anything the engine is louder than the exhuast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts