Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory 2.5T setup w/intercooler added.. factory injectors, calibration, computer controlled factory boost etc, thoughts on if i'm safe running the factory cal intercooled. Aftermarket BOV and adj fuel regulator only non stock stuff. I will have my foot to the floor :tsktsk-tisk:

Not installing wideband, no plans of performance upgrades that's what the engine on the stand is for (someday), just putting it together for the summer.

On a side note would I ultimately benifit from a custom calibration? Would there be benifits of gas mileage, I would be choosing a boost button/shel-game cal and putting it in myself. Gas mileage is everything these days lol!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Adding an inteercooler to a 2.5 should be okay on stock everything else. A 2.5 doesn't have an ACT sensor so it won't be any different than driving in summer and cooler when driving in winter,I don't know where a 2.5 gets it temp difference reference.

·
Administrator
24,972 Posts
Not sure of the calibration for a stock 2.5L but since the 2.5L uses the same fuel system(pump,regulator,injectors)as the 89 T-2/90 T-4 and all three engines are designed for 14.5 lbs of boost before overboost shutdown the only differences are the intercooler.
Factory boost on the T-2/T-4 is 12 lbs and only 7 lbs on the 2.5L to prevent detonation due to the lack of an intercooler.
Knowing all of that the fuel curve should be fine with the added, cooler air from the intercooler.

As already stated you will not know 100% without a Wideband.

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't install a wideband and want custom cal, you're asking for trouble.
I hear ya, keeping it on the cheap here so staying stock besides intercooler because it's already installed and plumbed when I got it.

Not too concerned about the motor, it's getting pulled ultimatly, BUT I would rather not have to tow it home too lol

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Not sure of the calibration for a stock 2.5L but since the 2.5L uses the same fuel system(pump,regulator,injectors)as the 89 T-2/90 T-4 and all three engines are designed for 14.5 lbs of boost before overboost shutdown the only differences are the intercooler.
Factory boost on the T-2/T-4 is 12 lbs and only 7 lbs on the 2.5L to prevent detonation due to the lack of an intercooler.
Knowing all of that the fuel curve should be fine with the added, cooler air from the intercooler.

As already stated you will not know 100% without a Wideband.
Overboost on all stock engines is set to 13.6psi. 14.5 is the limit of what the 2-bar MAP will read. But, shutdown is a bit lower than that...

The 2.5 cals have the 7psi limit at lower RPM and MPH, but max boost is 11psi. The High Torque cal has the 7psi limit increased to 9psi - hence the High Torque designation. The only difference is boost.

I don't think you'll have any trouble running an intercooler on a stock 2.5 with a stock cal. I can tell you - I wouldn't make any changes to the cal to do it. I could adjust the fuel (by assuming a colder intake temp), but it's a really small adjustment. And, I would only do that if the charge temp sensor was added. Stock cals are setup for about 10.5:1 A/F in boost. With only an IC added, you still won't pull that leaner than 11:1...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I ran my 2.5 on a mp computer with a intercooler with no issues, I used premium fuel and octane booster, and took the timing back a degree or two.

Just don't run that 2.5 on a 2.2 computer. If you need to borrow a 2.5 computer till you get a custom cal I might be able to help.

·
Registered
328 Posts
put the intercooler on it and run it, don't worry, you won't lean it out, that's how I ran mine for years and never had any problems, I was running a narrow band sensor back then in 1999 and it never leaned out

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tech info shel-game, very helpful. I am running a 2.5T1 computer, just took it out for a run with vacuum lines and pcv all replaced and it runs good and hard, power steering exploded somewhere though, something for the weekend lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts