Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm trying to get my '87 Shelby Charger back on the road. Since I last dealt with it, the system that displays fault codes via the Power Loss lamp has stopped working.

The lamp works. The first thing I did was remove the instrument cluster, clean each contact and replace each bulb. I cleaned the contacts on both the red and blue connectors on the logic module. I saw no burns on the circuit board.

Here's what happens. With the ignition On, the Power Loss lamp stays off. It comes on while the starter cranks then goes off once the engine starts. I tested it further by unplugging the engine temp sensor. The computer started the fan and the Power Loss lamp came On.

When I cycle the ignition to request codes, nothing happens, not even code 55. The computer is linked to the instrument panel as shown when I unplugged the temp sensor, but the OBD fault code system seems dead.

Does anyone know what causes this and what a fix might be?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
Since we know the bulb is OK and the LM is capable of turning on the power loss lamp the issue has to be that the LM is not seeing the request for code retrieval.

Do you have access to a scanner so you can see if the scanner is able to communicate with the LM?
Verify there is no damage/corrosion/looseness at the ignition switch connector and LM connectors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since we know the bulb is OK and the LM is capable of turning on the power loss lamp the issue has to be that the LM is not seeing the request for code retrieval.

Do you have access to a scanner so you can see if the scanner is able to communicate with the LM?
Verify there is no damage/corrosion/looseness at the ignition switch connector and LM connectors.

I'll check ignition switch connectors next time I'm working on it.

I have some memory issues after an injury. Ignition on and off 4 times to start the request, correct? I think that's what I used to do.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
3 times, key, on/off, on/off, on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts