Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2.5 engine from a mini van that i put in my lemons Daytona, and i went to fill the cooling system and realized this head doesn't have a fill plug on the thermostat housing like my 2.2 does. How are you supposed to fill the system without that breather plug? With the thermostat out you leave a ton of air, and i'm not sure my turbo line will come off without a fight. Is there some obvious trick i'm missing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
you need to jack the front up as far as you can get it. or just park it on a steep hill then fill it up the angle should help to get all the air out. all you really need is to get the rad cap to be the highest thing in the sys.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But you still need an escape for the residual air, when filling the coolant is cold, so the thermostat is closed, and nothing moves through. That's why I thought the fill plug was there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup, i have the manuals. My hang up was that the head on the engine i have doesn't have that plug, which was throwing me for a loop. The other two engine heads i have both have the plug.

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which method did you end up using?
None yet. Waiting for my rebuilt radiator to be finished so i can pull the crap one out. Will do that thursday.

Will probably just use the run with radiator cap off since i just resealed the thermostat housing.

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
The hole at top of the t-stat people drill isn't necessarily for air removal. Its to help prevent the head/T-stat housing from thermal shock when it opens for the first time.

But yea, most people just run it till the t-stat opens, then fill it/continue to fill.

Even if you do this method, it can still take a few drive/run cycles to remove all the air, so as long as you aren't low on fluid, you should be fine. Just check the fluid and fill as necessary.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, the car will be racing this weekend, so we'll just have to run it a bunch on friday to try and get most of the air out. what's the worst that could happen.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used to use a common screwdriver and slightly push it in till i hear the air escape, once coolant is pressant slap the hose back on top it up...due to the breather cap was frozen to the head....lovely disimilar/galvanic corrosion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts