Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local TD buddy gave me rear spring off his 88 shelby daytona and rear bilstein, since he upgraded. This was back in Feb I belive. As off today, they are officially installed. Big deal you say. This is the big deal; the bolts were rusted. Not just rusted, but seized onto the metal sleeve inside the bushing on both shocks. Only one came out without a fight. Had to take the dremel to them to cut some grooves so my vice grips could hold them. PB blaster lube saved the day for certain. I'll have to get some pics taken today. Have yet to put tires back on, as the rims are due for polishing. Two hours of work, and still not food :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good stuff man! Misery love company. I can't do a project without something get stuck, broken or just effed up. This weekend was stripped torx heads in the accessory pulley while changing the timing belt. :bang head Gotta love the Dremel!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still have to do front bushings, ball joints, and outter tie rods :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
I took a sawzall to mine. Bit stinky but the shock was off in short order. Replaced all of the bolts with new.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Of all the shocks I have ever done (about 4 or 5 daytonas/shadows) all of the bolts were seized and you can't get them off so you have to cut it or grind it off. The top bolts I believe are put into like a metal sleeve. After years of road salt and rust the bolt and metal sleeve cement together and there's no way you will get that upper bolt out of the shock so you gotta start cutting. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just went through that with my konis. I was stripping my red shadow and the lower bolt to one side was frozen. We hit that bolt with a impact gun and it snapped the bolt head off. We used a sawzall to cut the bolt/bushing.

Then I contacted Koni and they sent me a new rubber/metal bushing for the shock. Machine shop had one hell of a time pressing those two into the shock.

When I reinstalled the lower bolt, I coated the whole bolt/metal bushing in anti-seize.

Jack's Dodge said:
This is the big deal; the bolts were rusted. Not just rusted, but seized onto the metal sleeve inside the bushing on both shocks. Only one came out without a fight. Had to take the dremel to them to cut some grooves so my vice grips could hold them.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might say I cheated a bit. With the new bolts, they are only threaded on the end. The section in the metal sleeve is smooth, eliminating the "seize factor." Goot to have my suspension upgrade. Car rides nicely, though I can clearly notice the incorrect size in my sway bar bushing. Ordered the wrong size that mounts to the fram. Got something smaller from auto zone. Car should be all cleaned up for the capital meet on the 17th. Hoping to make time to polish the pizzas (that almost sounds dirty...sweet!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts