Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been worrying about how to remove the remaining turbo exhaust housing bolts for a while now. I broke off 5 bolts for the swingvalve and 2 for the exhaust housing. I have been spraying them with Kroil penetrating oil for several weeks. I also bought some Freeze off from CRC at the hardware. It is penetrating oil that gets cold as you spray it on the bolt. These bolts are really tricky because you can only get an open end wrench on the bolt because of the housing being in the way on the turbo. I rounded off one bolt already. What I did to finally make some progress is to heat the housing up directly around the bolt with some mapp gas (similiar to propane but hotter). I did that for a couple minutes then sprayed it with the freeze off. It smoked like a bitch. Then I sprayed a little kroil penetrating oil on the bolt (because it's supposed to be the best). Then I repeated the process 2 more times. I was able to loosen 3 of the bolts. The last one is rounded so it will take a little more time.
Just thought I would share my success.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Share your success? lol man you are the most stubborn TDr on here! I salute you!
Try a nut splitter on that last one not sure it fits. Or maybe a dremmel cut-off to slit the nut so it splits the nut and makes it very easy to turn.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>>>Share your success? lol man you are the most stubborn TDr on here! I salute you!
Try a nut splitter on that last one not sure it fits. Or maybe a dremmel cut-off to slit the nut so it splits the nut and makes it very easy to turn.<<<

That gave me a laugh. It may not seem like a success to many, but I thought I was going to have to give up on the idea of rebuilding my turbo. I really didn't want to buy a used one and run into similiar issues with rusty bolts, though (I would not buy new because I'm way too cheap). Now that I am nearly done removing the stuck bolts, I can move on with this turbo rebuild. I definately couldn't fit a nut splitter on that bolt head but I could put a slot in it. I will try those cool wrenches Tryingbe suggested first. Great idea, Tryingbe. I don't mind spending money on tools so I ordered those just now!

I have posted on here before about my struggles with stuck, rusty bolts. That has been my main (and only) complaint working on this car. I have broken at least 13 bolts so far. One stud was broke off in the head before I bought the car, too. My most impressive broken bolt was a 10mm head bolt. Ohh, and I can't forget the extension I broke in half...should have boughten a craftsman. I can't even get it replaced. I should have quit when the very first bolt I took off the engine broke. It was like an Oman.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not run into any bolts that are not metric on this car, yet (are you taking about rusty bolts getting smaller as the corrosion gets worse?). However, I was able to pound on a 7/16" wrench on the rounded bolt to get a tighter grip. Problem was that the wrench would flex at the mouth too much and slip off the bolt.
Thanks..

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought this thread was dead. Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried that. I got the last bolt off by cutting it off with a dremel and then welding a nut on the end of the broken stud. Then I just turned the nut with a wrench. That was after I took the turbo apart, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts