Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this one locally on craigslist:
"car is only 120000 miles interior is in good shape ruuns and drive good .. only need reg. and inspection"

How reliable are Spirits at this age and mileage? Would it make a good cheap turbo project car? Is there even an aftermarket for these?

I currently have an auto 96 v6 Dodge Avenger and its got a recent transmission leak at about the same mileage, if that Spirit is auto how well will the transmission hold up for future mileage?

This car just caught my eye because it looks like there is some potential for a cheap turbo sleeper. :cool:

Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A running and driving car for 500 bucks, sounds like a good deal to me!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Found this one locally on craigslist:
"car is only 120000 miles interior is in good shape ruuns and drive good .. only need reg. and inspection"

How reliable are Spirits at this age and mileage? Would it make a good cheap turbo project car? Is there even an aftermarket for these?

I currently have an auto 96 v6 Dodge Avenger and its got a recent transmission leak at about the same mileage, if that Spirit is auto how well will the transmission hold up for future mileage?

This car just caught my eye because it looks like there is some potential for a cheap turbo sleeper. :cool:

Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks.
Fairly reliable and parts are pretty cheap. It would make a fine turbo project car. There is an aftermarket for them, its not huge but these cars respond well to cheap mods. The trannys are decent, the governers tend to stick but the tranny holds up pretty well to more power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fairly reliable and parts are pretty cheap. It would make a fine turbo project car. There is an aftermarket for them, its not huge but these cars respond well to cheap mods. The trannys are decent, the governers tend to stick but the tranny holds up pretty well to more power.
Great info! Appreciate the quick reply, I will try to check it out today if possible. Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A stock turbo spirit wold spank your avanger. GET IT!. They are very easy and cheap to mod.
Awesome, got to test drive it today and I must say.. the turbo sounds awesome. Jerks you back pretty nicely from a roll too, gonna go back tomorrow to try to pick it up.

Oh and RJ138 what did you mean by governer tends to stick? I think I experienced this: Flooring it in 1st gear it would bounce off rev limiter, then shifted once I let off, was that the governer sticking?

I will update tomorrow and let yall know how it goes.

Here's some pics of this beast. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 89 turbo spirit has 232,000 miles on it now. I took the original trans out at 218,000 'cause I had new 92 turbo lockup I wanted to use. The original head dropped a seat at 181,000 but no other things have stranded me on it. Swapped starter at 200,000 because I had a spare and I had to rebuild original alternator at 190,000 but it is back on. Awesome car combination if only the paint would have held up. When I had the head off to swap gaskets last week, the original hone marks are still in all four cylinders. Mine is by far the ugliest grey/rust car on the road but with a LU trans, it gets great mileage. Love to find another one, in white this time.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Wow that thing looks really clean!. You will have alot of fun with it lol. On another note the auto trannies tend to blow up after going over stock boost. I was running my car at 10psi (Wich is only a couple pounds over stock). My tranny lasted about 2-3 months. Try not to brake boost to much and you should be ok.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Theres a 89 turbo acclaim down here i wanted to buy awhile ago and the guy still has it he told me i could have it for 400 bux like 2 years ago and it runs and drives.. i might buy it if he kept the title (owns a salvage yard)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
you have a center console....so do a 5spd swap with a 1987+ tranny

if you plan to stay auto....i would have a flush done. those auto trannies last waaaaay longer when they get fresh fluid every few years. they make synthetic atf which is good because an auto tranny generates a lot of heat. also might want to have the bands adjusted and such when they have the pan off.

there are a million other things i would sugjest....brake upgrade, hotter chassis pieces, adding an intercooler is an obvious choice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey burnt toast now you should redo your "my ride" thing!!

ok i got to ask whats up with that name? :rofl2: its freaking great!!
Well its gonna be sometime before I can legalize this one, so the Venge will still be my #1 for the time being.

The spirit definitely has some problems: pulls hard to right either alignment or tires issue, and driving back home notice the odometer isn't hooked up! That worries me a bit, but in glovebox I found oil change and tune up records dated from '89 at 800mi to '97 at 87000mi so atleast at that point it was well taken care off. And my friend said she needs motormounts, and a good tuneup overall. In due time.. gotta focus on classes first but will try to take care of some things over christmas break. :thumb:

And burnt_toast? Just made it up one time while playing a game and though thats what the tank I was driving looked like lol after that it's just stuck everyone online, plus I do like my foods crispy and a lil burnt. :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you have a center console....so do a 5spd swap with a 1987+ tranny

if you plan to stay auto....i would have a flush done. those auto trannies last waaaaay longer when they get fresh fluid every few years. they make synthetic atf which is good because an auto tranny generates a lot of heat. also might want to have the bands adjusted and such when they have the pan off.

there are a million other things i would sugjest....brake upgrade, hotter chassis pieces, adding an intercooler is an obvious choice!
Indeed, my friend is all about adding intercooler and going to a bigger turbo, but that will take some time. Need to get her running good first. BTW I will be staying auto.

As noted I'm not sure to the actual mileage on there now, and I heard in general doing a flush past 100k mi without doing one previously can mess the transmission up. Does this still apply here?

I've added a trans cooler on my avenger and real happy with how it's performed for me so may do that on the Spirit as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts