Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the results from my first run wiht the mini. Please keep in mind.... this was my first time to the track many mistakes were made, and I know the van is still faster than I am. But as in all new things it is a learning process. So here's how it went....

R/T......... .959
60'.......... 3.210
1/8..........11.250
MPH..........70.46
1/4...........16.857
MPH..........89.07

R/T......... 1.093
60'.......... 2.376
330.......... 6.445
1/8.......... 9.809
MPH.......... 73.30
1000......... 12.943
1/4...........16.215
MPH..........62.90

R/T......... .109
60'.......... 2.633
1/8..........10.259
MPH..........72.20
1/4...........15.806
MPH.......... 88.68

R/T......... .290
60'.......... 2.527
330.......... 6.726
1/8..........8.473
MPH..........72.92
1/4...........15.605
MPH..........90.21

Run 1 was plenty o wheelspin... and Oh, thats a GREEN light...
Run 2 couldn't find 4th gear... hence the 62.90mph at the end. Still in Reverse at the green
Runs 3 & 4 felt better... better on the tree, the 12-13 sec cars I was running against weren't pulling away as far.

My setup is a 1989 Caravan 2.5 balance shafts removed. super 60 turbo. 16psi boost 523 5 speed transmission t trac lsd. And I was on Hoosier autocross tires, but my alignment is HORRIBLE like probably 1-2 degrees positive camber...Plus with the 5th injector running, I was always rich... I think I may have hurt myself by having too much fuel.

Anyway, for my first time at the track I think 15.6 in my 5 speed mini isn't bad. But I still have plenty to learn. And I need to up the boost. :)

~~Heath

·
Registered
805 Posts
WTG----Heath

I am glad that you finally had the courage to race. So my 1st question is---How did you like going down the track ???? You and I will have to get together this year and go the track as a team---heads sure would LOOK at us.

Best Regards
Your Friend
BIG PSI

·
Registered
755 Posts
That last run judging by the MPH could have been a bottom 15, high 14 run. With that 60ft you are leaving alot on the table.

With the autocross tires and the LSD was it that hard to get it to hook? I always thought mini-vans hooked fairly well for a FWD platform... Were you doing a burnout?

Get more practice man and go back!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BIG PSI said:
WTG----Heath

I am glad that you finally had the courage to race. So my 1st question is---How did you like going down the track ???? You and I will have to get together this year and go the track as a team---heads sure would LOOK at us.

Best Regards
Your Friend
BIG PSI

Yup, absolutely it was a great time. And I do hope for us to get together sometime in the future.... we could make one helluva show. ~~H

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My96z said:
That last run judging by the MPH could have been a bottom 15, high 14 run. With that 60ft you are leaving alot on the table.

With the autocross tires and the LSD was it that hard to get it to hook? I always thought mini-vans hooked fairly well for a FWD platform... Were you doing a burnout?

Get more practice man and go back!

Jeff
I strongly believe that 3 things were killing me. Wheelspin, alignment, and too much fuel. AT first I had WAY too much pressure in the autocross tires... 40 psi to 30 then 20 and progressively got faster with better traction off the line.Plus a lack of any type of alignment... it actually had positive camber which made the traction issues that much worse. I did not do a burnout except for the last run. (not many miles on the van and really didn't want to break it first time out) . And I really think I had too much fuel. with the eobe set properly, but the 5th injector coming on at 13 psi.

Any suggestions to help the 60ft time?~~H

·
Registered
805 Posts
When you launch the MINI, bring the rpm to a steady point, don't sit there are keep free reving the motor up and down. I usually launch RUBY at 2,500 rpm by brake torque. Once the 2nd yellow light goes out but before the 3rd yellow light comes on I lift off the brake pedal and gradually push the gas down towards the floor. Do NOT mash the gas all the way at first (unless you have slicks).

You want to do what is called a shoulder roll: but with both of your feet; as your MINI is a stick. When we get together I will show you this in person.

Best Regards
BIG PSI

·
Registered
755 Posts
You could put a auto in it!! :D J/K

Other than real drag slicks, only thing that is going to help you is practice and experiment with what works for you and practice it.

What all is done to your van??

Sounds like it was just rebuilt. Is that a true .63 Super 60 you have?? How does the ol 2.5 spool it? I am curisous as I am going to be running the same turbo.

Also I would drop the boost down to 14 and disconnect the 5th injector and see how it does and then raise the boost bit by bit. Like you said you my be running way rich. Do you have a g-tech or somthing one can borrow to to have somthing to compare runs to?? How are your plugs looking?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIG PSI said:
When you launch the MINI, bring the rpm to a steady point, don't sit there are keep free reving the motor up and down. I usually launch RUBY at 2,500 rpm by brake torque. Once the 2nd yellow light goes out but before the 3rd yellow light comes on I lift off the brake pedal and gradually push the gas down towards the floor. Do NOT mash the gas all the way at first (unless you have slicks).

You want to do what is called a shoulder roll: but with both of your feet; as your MINI is a stick. When we get together I will show you this in person.

Best Regards
BIG PSI

Chuck, I know exactly what you mean... just the excitement of being at the track the first time.... It got better with every run, more relaxed, better control. Still... no better than a 2.3 60' I know I have a lot to learn and work on. ~~H

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My96z said:
You could put a auto in it!! :D J/K
Other than real drag slicks, only thing that is going to help you is practice and experiment with what works for you and practice it.
What all is done to your van??
Sounds like it was just rebuilt. Is that a true .63 Super 60 you have?? How does the ol 2.5 spool it? I am curisous as I am going to be running the same turbo.
Also I would drop the boost down to 14 and disconnect the 5th injector and see how it does and then raise the boost bit by bit. Like you said you my be running way rich. Do you have a g-tech or somthing one can borrow to to have somthing to compare runs to?? How are your plugs looking?
Jeff
Yup, I know I need practice. What is done to the van?

1989 Turbo mini 162,000 on the clock
White 7 pass
No AC (removed)
Tiwanese drivers fender small rust spots
White paint peerling on roof.
40K mile 2.5 balance shafts removed
40K mile 523 + T trac (1st Gen)
new Luk T2 clutch/PP/TO bearing
new rear brake cylinders
new front pads
new FMM
New Pass MM
new SS turbonation lines
new Super60
new 3" exhaust
boost set to 16psi
new timing belt
Custom Intercooler BIG
1G talon BOV
5th injector set to 13psi
255lph fuel pump
Autometer Boost gauge
Cyberdyne A/F
New O2
New Headliner
Clean 7 pass seating
Very little to no rust on the undercarriage
Snowflake rims with good tires on them.

The plugs look fine so far. a little black from the motor bring too rich. I think I am going to raise the point the 5th injector comes on, and gradually raise the boost..... like you said.

Also haev a few friends that are running G tech-s so I shoudl be able to borrow 1 of them.

~~H

·
Registered
755 Posts
Cool. Sounds like a clean van you got there. Are those Taiwan fenders cheaply made and thinner stell than what is stock? If so I might try to source some for my front end as I hit a deer last year going 50 MPH and could use some new panels. If they are lighter then thats all the better, be like in the 60's with the super stock cars and their acid dipped sheetmetal to make the cars lighter... cept on a van lol Super stock dodge caravan he he

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, they are lighter, but fit and finish leave a little to be desired.

Good old "tender fenders"

The van is pretty clean. Really need a rear bobble strut. The motor leaned back enough to dent oen of the metal heater hose lines.... not good.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turbovanman said:
Nice, you need to tune your setup and get your 60 ft times better. Glad to see more minis being raced!

Thanks! Any suggestions on improving the 60ft time? I know I had a problem with wheelspin that was improving as I lowered the tire pressure.

Oh to add I have a reallly bad problem in the alignment department... My wheels look like \--/ that I know is bad. Anyone know alignment suggestions? Because the front end lifts, would a 1 degree negative camber be better???

~~Heath

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Heads sure did turn, I tell you what! I think Heath's mini had the most heads drewling under the hood, people thought it was truly amazing!

BIG PSI, you def. have to come down our way! Next month we're hoping to have a cookout/picnic ordeal up at our local state park, bring down some of your crew and hang out, would ya?! :thumb:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I am trying DC---been throwing all kinds of $$$ at SYLVIA lately. If all goes well she should be dialed in by this WED. Then PATRICK heads in for a trans rebuild and a slight miss at idle (possible burnt valve). After PATRICK comes back the next vehicle to get worked on will be S-T-R-E-T-C-H. I hope to have all 3 ready before SDAC. I just need to keep them healthy.

Best Regards
BIG PSI

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
BIG PSI said:
I am trying DC---been throwing all kinds of $$$ at SYLVIA lately. If all goes well she should be dialed in by this WED. Then PATRICK heads in for a trans rebuild and a slight miss at idle (possible burnt valve). After PATRICK comes back the next vehicle to get worked on will be S-T-R-E-T-C-H. I hope to have all 3 ready before SDAC. I just need to keep them healthy.

Best Regards
BIG PSI
Don't forget to keep yourself healthy also, :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I am trying to get my mini healthy again... snapped the inner cv on the drivers side and really don't have the $80 for a new axle. :sigh:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the thread, guys. Heath, welcome to the club!! By now you've figured out how much fun you're about to have... and we'll be right here cheering you along every step of the way.

Kid Doc said:
Oh to add I have a reallly bad problem in the alignment department... My wheels look like \--/ that I know is bad. Anyone know alignment suggestions?
For the very best dragstrip alignment, do this:

#1: have someone video you while you launch (you can do this in a parking lot, even). The camera needs to be right next to a front tire. Watch for a change in the "dead air" between the tire and the fender; make a close approximation as to exactly how much the nose lifts at launch.

#2: find a willing alignment shop. Put your car on the rack, then jack up the front end by the amount you measured in step #1. Now have the wheels adjusted so they are exactly perpendicular to the road surface at that height.

By aligning in this manner, you will have the maximum footprint at the track. Your day-to-day driving will cause excessive tire wear (and maybe even spooky handling), so this method may not be for you if the van is your only car.

If that's the case, I'd still do the above. Once the alignment has been set, drop the car off the jack and flex the suspension to set it back to normal. Now take a new reading. See how far out the camber is, then compare it to the suggested spec. Now set it someplace in between. Most alignment specs have a wide "acceptable" range with a narrow "preferred" range in the middle; perhaps you can tiptoe just inside the appropriate "acceptable" borderline or something like that.

A willing, competent alignment tech will make all the difference for you. The time you spend searching for one will be well rewarded. Good luck in your quest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts