Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my first turbo Dodge and it's a car I've wanted for some time. '87 GLHS, needs some work but the body is in great shape as are the floors and rails. I hope to catalog the venture but bear with me, I don't always keep up with it online.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First things first, I have to get into the car. I had the car shipped from Phoenix, AZ to Houston, Tx. The seller told me there was a problem with the door handles and no keys so he left a window down. The shipper rolled the windows up and apparently locked the other door so I have to figure out how to get the door open. Makes sense in shipping, I'll have to get to it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Welcome !!!

Door handles are an issue with our cars.

Like other Chrysler-Jeep vehicles they are adjustable.

Few folks ever adjust them so instead they get broken.

Most tow truck guys are handy with a Slim Jim to open doors.

Keep us posted!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll try my hand at it first and maybe save a few bucks. The scrapers are trashed so I can get down there easily but seeing and knowing what to do is a different matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After fighting with it for an hour or so I called a tow service to open it. Driver pulls up in front of the car and says "I'm looking for the Charger". I have a feeling explaining what it is will be an ongoing thing. One door opens, the driver doesn't yet but at least it's in the shop now and I can get into it. Now to start clean up and inventory of what I need

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congrats on being a GLHS owner! Looks like you have a bit of a journey ahead of you with this one, but sometimes it is the journey that makes the memories and not the destination! Do you know what the car number is?

BTW I just got my second 87 GLHS back in Dec 2020 (564) and I was an original owner of 87 GLHS 815 back in the day. Only took me 30 years to get back into them. lol

There are a lot of good people in here that will help you should you have any questions, but recommend doing a good search in the forums as nearly all my questions were previously asked by someone else.

I look forward to seeing you save this GLHS and hope it brings you many miles of smiles!

Where are you located?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm outside Houston, Tx. The car is 881 and the seller is mailing the tag. When I get some time off work (it's been unreal lately but at least I'm working) I'll be able to clean everything up and work on starting the engine. I'm hoping for a quick turnaround for everything but it is a 30+ yr old car so I'm thinking realistic too.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,277 Posts
Hey Chris, it's Mark Lucas from over on Facebook. Glad to see you got into the car! I might have to drive #958 to my buddy's near Burnet and come visit some day.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Hey Chris, it's Mark Lucas from over on Facebook. Glad to see you got into the car! I might have to drive #958 to my buddy's near Burnet and come visit some day.
You have 958?
I had 956 for many years (from Cowboy Dodge in Cheyenne WY.)
I wonder if yours came from there also.

Reactions: INSATANSSEAT

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have printout of all the #'ed cars on where and when they were shipped. Yes # 958 was shipped to Cowboy Dodge. 1 of 5 (#'s 954-958) shipped on 3/13/87. Another 5 (#'s 949-953) were shipped a month earlier on 2/13/87 to the same dealership. Interestingly #'s 964-999 must have initially had no place to go, as out of all the #'s cars, only these ones had no designation to where they were shipped (at least at time of my printout).I always heard there was leftover stock of the 87 GLHS cars. You could get a smokin deal on them when new. Same with the Shelby Lancers. More stock available than dealers that wanted to buy them...

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,277 Posts
You told me about that, Mr. 0325.(Don't know your name.)

I always wondered if there was a record of the original owner or who had owned #0958 before Dave Bond. He bought it sometime between '97 and '99.

I'm curious as to how the car made it from Wyoming to St. Louis.

-Mark

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that list online somewhere? I'm just curious and would eventually like to put together the history of my car

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, got some time today I didn't expect due to an overnight stay at the emergency room. But all will be well. So the car, no spark and no fuel pressure. The engine turns over but I haven't checked compression yet. So if I didn't say it before I have no problem changing parts as this is a 30+yr old car. That being said I still want it to start up as soon as possible to evaluate everything. If my research is correct, this does not have a fuel pump relay, it's in the power module. Spark could also be an issue and not a promising look for it. So I guess that's the next thing to go after

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I'm relearning this stuff as I go. (I sold auto parts for 16 yrs starting in 1991 but been out for 15 yrs). There are two modules. The logic module pictured and the power module under the hood. So my issue with the logic module is that it's been changed and no longer has oem numbers to match the right one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You can power the fuel pump by jumping the blue wire I thiink it is on the connector to the relay on the passenger side relay near the coil. If you jump that and dont hear your fuel pump, then the pump is bad or wiring between relay and pump is bad.

Do a search in here and you should find exactly which qore it is.

As for spark, you sure the distributor and rotor are both good? What about the coil?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coil, rotor, cap are all new. Plug wires were special order so they're going on tomorrow

·
Registered
299 Posts
Where is your MAP sensor? If usually fills that opening in the LM. I see you have a bunch of wires going in there, but I am not familiar with why they are there and no MAP sensor.

Or is your MAP sensor hidden behind the LM case and those are the wires from the MAP to the LM?

Any photos of the engine bay? Just wanting to see that all the relays and solenoids are in place and vacuum lines hooked up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Coil, rotor, cap are all new. Plug wires were special order so they're going on tomorrow

And still no spark or just won't fire? Have you homed out all your fuses to ensure they are all good and none are missing from the fuse block?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts