21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Might try here

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
You told me about that, Mr. 0325.(Don't know your name.)

I always wondered if there was a record of the original owner or who had owned #0958 before Dave Bond. He bought it sometime between '97 and '99.

I'm curious as to how the car made it from Wyoming to St. Louis.

-Mark
Mark:
#0956 started off in Wyoming, then the 2nd. owner bought it, and shipped it to Tennessee where he lived, then to Upstate NY, when he moved then I bought it (Queens NY), then sold it to a guy in Virginia.
I miss that car.

Jim

Reactions: INSATANSSEAT

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Where is your MAP sensor? If usually fills that opening in the LM. I see you have a bunch of wires going in there, but I am not familiar with why they are there and no MAP sensor.

Or is your MAP sensor hidden behind the LM case and those are the wires from the MAP to the LM?

Any photos of the engine bay? Just wanting to see that all the relays and solenoids are in place and vacuum lines hooked up.
Ok, got some time today I didn't expect due to an overnight stay at the emergency room. But all will be well. So the car, no spark and no fuel pressure. The engine turns over but I haven't checked compression yet. So if I didn't say it before I have no problem changing parts as this is a 30+yr old car. That being said I still want it to start up as soon as possible to evaluate everything. If my research is correct, this does not have a fuel pump relay, it's in the power module. Spark could also be an issue and not a promising look for it. So I guess that's the next thing to go after

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ChrisD:

What's the cars plate # on the dash?
The earlier 1987 GLHS production run had the MAP sensor mounted in the LM under the kick panel.
Your LM has wiring for the MAP but I believe they all had that.
The early routing had the MAP in the LM and connected to that harness.
The MAP had a rubber hose attached to it that ran out through the firewall to a smaller plastic hose to the blue dot solenoid.
When they changed to the engine mounted MAP location, they ran a Red/Black/White harness from the MAP in the engine bay into the car and connected it to the LM.
I believe they changed over to the engine bay mounting in late August of 1986.
My #0325 car has the MAP in the LM and was an early production car.
My #0956 car was in the last batch of production and had the MAP in the engine compartment.

Here's an example of the GLHS MAP sensor mounted in the LM (#0325).
In this version, there would be a rubber hose coming out of the black cover plate on the LM.
This hose would travel forward and upward and go through the firewall:

This shows the black rubber hose feed through the firewall.
This is the earlier routing with the MAP mounted in the LM:

The reason they switched to the engine bay mounting was to reduce condensation buildup inside the rubber tubing.
The heat of the engine would dry up any condensation inside the tube.

Here's a link to the vacuum routing diagram I made a while back.
Scroll down to the 1987 GLHS:

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My car is number 881 the map sensor attaches to the logic module on mine. It was just hanging underneath the dash, so not in the picture

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
My car is number 881 the map sensor attaches to the logic module on mine. It was just hanging underneath the dash, so not in the picture

Excellent news!
And yes, the fuel pump relay is in the power module.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ChrisD:

The earlier 1987 GLHS production run had the MAP sensor mounted in the LM under the kick panel.
Your LM has wiring for the MAP but I believe they all had that.
The early routing had the MAP in the LM and connected to that harness.
The MAP had a rubber hose attached to it that ran out through the firewall to a smaller plastic hose to the blue dot solenoid.
When they changed to the engine mounted MAP location, they ran a Red/Black/White harness from the MAP in the engine bay into the car and connected it to the LM.
I believe they changed over to the engine bay mounting in late August of 1986.
My #0325 car has the MAP in the LM and was an early production car.
My #0956 car was in the last batch of production and had the MAP in the engine compartment.
Interesting, 564 has a manufacture build decal saying the cars build date was Oct 1986 and the MAP mounts to the LM. Now there is wiring connecting the MAP to the LM, but I don't think it was as long as in Chris' picture.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Interesting, 564 has a manufacture build decal saying the cars build date was Oct 1986 and the MAP mounts to the LM. Now there is wiring connecting the MAP to the LM, but I don't think it was as long as in Chris' picture.
Ok, I just spoke to my brother who was the original owner of #0325 and he set me straight on the time time.
I went to the binder with all the info on the car and:
Shelby Automobiles Certificate of Origin of Vehicle: 10/28/86
Original sale date: 11/17/86

So my original statement regarding when they switched over to MAP in the engine bay was not August, but some time after October of 1986.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sweet, so I have one of the last with the less than stellar setup. Good thing we dont have much humidity/condensation here in FL. Lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, so logic module and power module back in. Engine turns over but no spark. No power to the coil + side.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ran a wire to +side of coil and still no spark but the fuel pump kicked on. So with the relay in the power module I'm back to thinking that's an issue

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Ok, so logic module and power module back in. Engine turns over but no spark. No power to the coil + side.

Can you check continuity between the coil side and PM side of the +wire.
Also remove the two multi-pin connectors from the PM and check both the PM pins, and the wire connector sockets.
Clean them with contact cleaner then repack with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Cleaned up the connectors before putting the pm back in. One terminal looked burned. I read over the list from the link and have already done most of that. I'll check the continuity tomorrow, I'm calling this day done.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Continuity between the positive side of the coil and the power module is good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay so here's what I have found so far. No power to the coil. I do have power from the battery to the power module.when the key is turned over there is no power coming out of the power module to the coil. I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and turned the motor over and I got spark at the spark plug.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Okay so here's what I have found so far. No power to the coil. I do have power from the battery to the power module.when the key is turned over there is no power coming out of the power module to the coil. I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and turned the motor over and I got spark at the spark plug.

Is the + power pin on the PM in good shape, or is it burned/corroded?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Is the + power pin on the PM in good shape, or is it burned/corroded?
The only one burned is the coil to pm. It is getting continuity but it is burned. I'm working on cleaning it up now. But still o power to pm

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
The only one burned is the coil to pm. It is getting continuity but it is burned. I'm working on cleaning it up now. But still o power to pm

Yes, clean it good.
You can get continuity on a burnt/corroded line but still not enough clean contact area on the pin to allow proper voltage to flow to the coil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I had already ordered the PM and it came in today. Installed it and cleaned the logic module circuit board. I now have power to the PM. Turned it over and got spark once. Gonna ran up the PM plugs again and see if that fixes it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So I believe I have it down to the pickup coil. One of my issues is the wiring harness. There's a few things cut so I think I'm going to look for a replacement

21 - 40 of 118 Posts