Turbo Dodge Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I can't see any holes in the tank, just bad gas. I'll get a new pump and filter and flush the lines before putting it back in.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
5/16 for feed lines and 1/4 for return lines. Make sure high pressure lines designed for fuel injection. Your car may see fuel pressure as high as 70psi depending on your LM and boost settings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yeah I was going to go get some fuel injection hose and go ahead and start replacing stuff but I couldn't hardly get waited on at either of the auto parts still in town so I just went home to call it a day

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Well I took a break for a little bit and pulled the gas tank. When a hot wired it a few days ago the fuel pump kicked on but I had no pressure. So I took the gas cap off and was hit with the nasty smell of old gasoline. Gas tank came out easy enough but I'm definitely going to replace the pump in any grommets on the tank that I can. Whoever has this before it wasn't playing around with that exhaust either

Oh god look at that filter sock.
Replace that too.
Look into getting the Walbro brand pump.
This is what I installed in #0956

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
5/16 for feed lines and 1/4 for return lines. Make sure high pressure lines designed for fuel injection. Your car may see fuel pressure as high as 70psi depending on your LM and boost settings.
And always use clamps rated for fuel injection.
(no slots in the band and smooth radiused edges).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have printout of all the #'ed cars on where and when they were shipped. Yes # 958 was shipped to Cowboy Dodge. 1 of 5 (#'s 954-958) shipped on 3/13/87. Another 5 (#'s 949-953) were shipped a month earlier on 2/13/87 to the same dealership. Interestingly #'s 964-999 must have initially had no place to go, as out of all the #'s cars, only these ones had no designation to where they were shipped (at least at time of my printout).I always heard there was leftover stock of the 87 GLHS cars. You could get a smokin deal on them when new. Same with the Shelby Lancers. More stock available than dealers that wanted to buy them...
I may have the same printout that you have. I own GLHS #514 (second owner). I have found it interesting how all were invoiced. Those sold in 1986 were invoiced starting with 02-100 thru 02-926 then with 02-927 sold in 1987. Mine was invoiced 02-505 and was sold by Coliseum Motors Casper, WY. Also my list shows no VIN's for #'s 003-010, 076, 287-296 and for #'s 964-999 as you found. A friend who worked at Coliseum at the time told me they could not sell two of the four they had so they wholesaled them out. I found that amazing since the same year base Mustang sold for more than the complete GLHS package. I think some dealers had no idea of what they had as I traded a used 1985 Shelby charger and a difference of $1500 for the 1987 GLHS I own.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I may have the same printout that you have. I own GLHS #514 (second owner). I have found it interesting how all were invoiced. Those sold in 1986 were invoiced starting with 02-100 thru 02-926 then with 02-927 sold in 1987. Mine was invoiced 02-505 and was sold by Coliseum Motors Casper, WY. Also my list shows no VIN's for #'s 003-010, 076, 287-296 and for #'s 964-999 as you found. A friend who worked at Coliseum at the time told me they could not sell two of the four they had so they wholesaled them out. I found that amazing since the same year base Mustang sold for more than the complete GLHS package. I think some dealers had no idea of what they had as I traded a used 1985 Shelby charger and a difference of $1500 for the 1987 GLHS I own.
They had to be a Shelby Authorized dealer to receive any Shelby #'ed cars. I would say they definitely knew what they had, but WAY overestimated the demand. Wow, that was a really good deal you made for your 87 GLHS! The lone dealer in MN had a gold mine with the Shelby #'ed cars. They had a couple thousand dollar ADM (additional dealer markup) on all their #'ed cars. On the GLHS Omni's they actually bought additional stock from a South Dakota dealership. They also bought one last one from dealer in El Paso, TX that was having trouble getting rid of that last one. By that time, they were selling the 87 CSX's or Shelby Lancers.

Eventually that dealer got stuck with one 89 CSX they couldn't get rid of. That car sat on it's overflow lot for a couple years before it sold. It was around 91 or 92 when it finally sold. As luck would have it, the one that didn't sell was one of the 15 Recaro and wide tire CSX's! It was # 216. I was friends with the owner of the dealership. I remember talking to the owner Len back then, I could have bought that 89 CSX for 14k new going out the door. That was a great price for a 1 or 15 CSX. A guy I went to high school with eventually bought it. I was concerned that the car already suffered UV damage from sitting outside so long. It was sad to look at. One tire completely flat and dirty as can be for a new car. Maybe all that dirt helped protect the paint (haha)!

It was interesting to note where they all ended up. Dealers like in Wyoming for example (low populated areas) seemed to get more than their share of some of these cars. While many other heavy populated areas received far less inventory. Conversely, I remember on the CSX-T's, one rental agency in So-Cal got 113 of the 1000 cars. A full 11.3 % of the entire inventory! MN rental agency got 6. IIRC, the Wyoming agency got at least 10. Seattle and Portland received around 10 each. The distribution at least on the CSX-T's seemed a bit odd. Maybe some algorithm on tourist or business destinations from the Thrifty corp.

I bought a first year Honda CRX in 1984. It was import car of the year in 1984. Good car! Anyway, I put extreme low miles on my CRX, maybe had 1000 miles on it by 1986. In 1986, they come out with the CRX Si. Fuel injected with more power. My salesman that sold me my car, called me to come drive the new Si. I was a bit perturbed that we finally got the Japanese version a couple years later here in the US after I already purchased the CRX in 84. Already owned my 85 GLHT, which was WAY quicker than the SI, so no sale! Kept the CRX until about 2000. It had under 8k miles on it when I sold it. Should have kept it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
That's all great information but maybe in it's better suited for it's own thread and not my build thread.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So back to the build, I forget where I saw it but who has some of these factory connectors?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's all great information but maybe in it's better suited for it's own thread and not my build thread.

Yeah sorry about inadvertently hijacking your thread. I thought about that right after hitting the send button. My bad...

There was a company named Terminal Supply Co. that used to sell these connectors, but no longer do. I wanted to buy various terminals years ago, and they wanted crazy money for them individually, and really cheap if bought in bulk like hundreds of each style connector. I think they told me they all went in the dumpster to make room for stuff that actually sold. You might want to do a search for a thread on this topic if your curious. It could have also been on T-M forum.

Chrysler changed that connector in 1988. They finally went with a weatherproof style connector. If you can't find replacement style connectors, maybe consider changing your GLHS alternator sub harness wiring to this style. By that time, they used a different alternator, so that end would be different than the Motorola style crappy alternator that all l-bodies came with.

FYI the larger than l-bodies cars came with the larger 90 amp Bosch, ND, Chrysler Corporate style alternator. The hot ticket back in the day was to find a 85-87 turbo car, and change out the alternator, lower alternator bracket, and sub harness to the bigger and better style. That was one of the first things I would change out when I bought a new to me l-body. Attached below is 85 turbo l-body and 85 larger car turbo alternator sub harness. Wiring size was increased, as well as alternator connectors. More importantly, it got rid of that crappy Motorola alternator.

I probably have parts harnesses that are in better shape than the one you posted. I'll check and see what I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If I could I'd change the whole harness under the hood. I'll have to take another look at mine. I thought it was an old style Chrysler alternator but that would lead to more issues with no external regulator under the hood and wiring bypassed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I don't know if this is the factory style alternator but it's not factory mounting

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yes that is the POS Motorola alternator. the top mount is factory (worn). Can't see the bottom mount very well but looks right. The long bolt is in backwards though. Bushings are shot to say the least.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes that is the POS Motorola alternator. the top mount is factory (worn). Can't see the bottom mount very well but looks right.
Ok. Well, I was hoping to put everything stock, but maybe an upgrade or two wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Still a handful of others. These are the only ones that will reach to the core support

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Chris,
Whenever I purchase a new to me l-body, I spend a fair amount of time undoing what previous mechanics and owners did in attempts to service their cars. Some repairs are updating or upgrades from stock, while others are restoring. The end result is to get a reliable l-body. To tell you the truth I consider even some of the mods done by the Whittier plant to be borderline hatchet work (lol). The radiator mods, intercooler bracket mods, the hood trough, hood bracing, fan shroud, the electrical mods, etc. all seem to me, marginal to okay at best.
Someone in the past clearly was working (and I use that term loosely) on your GLHS that had not much of a clue what they were doing at least electrically. For example, wire nuts have no place on an automotive electrical system. Clamp on battery cables should be illegal too. Very amateurish repairs. Butchered or hacked up comes to mind.
Not trying to discourage you, but you should do lots of research so you know what is stock and what isn't correct on your GLHS before you deem it needs replacing. I applaud you for trying to resurrect your GLHS Charger. First things first, get it running, then get it correct the way it came off the assembly line.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I'm just not sure when it was running last. The guy I got it from hadn't had it long and it wasn't running when he got it. I'm assuming it started but you never know. I may have narrowed the firing issue to the pickup coil. I'll know in a few days when it shows up. As far as fuel, a new pump is on the way and I've cleaned the tank and lines. So we'll see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Yeah sorry about inadvertently hijacking your thread. I thought about that right after hitting the send button. My bad...

There was a company named Terminal Supply Co. that used to sell these connectors, but no longer do. I wanted to buy various terminals years ago, and they wanted crazy money for them individually, and really cheap if bought in bulk like hundreds of each style connector. I think they told me they all went in the dumpster to make room for stuff that actually sold. You might want to do a search for a thread on this topic if your curious. It could have also been on T-M forum.

Chrysler changed that connector in 1988. They finally went with a weatherproof style connector. If you can't find replacement style connectors, maybe consider changing your GLHS alternator sub harness wiring to this style. By that time, they used a different alternator, so that end would be different than the Motorola style crappy alternator that all l-bodies came with.

FYI the larger than l-bodies cars came with the larger 90 amp Bosch, ND, Chrysler Corporate style alternator. The hot ticket back in the day was to find a 85-87 turbo car, and change out the alternator, lower alternator bracket, and sub harness to the bigger and better style. That was one of the first things I would change out when I bought a new to me l-body. Attached below is 85 turbo l-body and 85 larger car turbo alternator sub harness. Wiring size was increased, as well as alternator connectors. More importantly, it got rid of that crappy Motorola alternator.

I probably have parts harnesses that are in better shape than the one you posted. I'll check and see what I have.
I was Very Lucky to get an NOS 1987 engine harness for the GLHS in the late 1990's but the body harness was NS-1 way back then.
I had Cliff Ramsdell change out the 78 amp alt. with the 90 you mentioned plus the bracket and modified engine harness.
That and the Stage II computer are the best first mods you can do in my opinion.
Everything electrical in the car works better, and no more yellowish headlights.

Reactions: chrisd
61 - 80 of 96 Posts