Turbo Dodge Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
Vic probably opened the hood and saw the wiring harness, said "uh, no", and put it up for sale.馃槵 It's a shame people have to get stupid and start hacking things to bits. I really feel for you Chris. I wish I was closer. I could easily help you re-assemble your harness with my FSMs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #83
I appreciate it. It's probably not much for someone who knows wiring but that someone isn't me. I have a couple of people/places to talk to about restoring the harness. I'd like to be able to get it all taken care of now that way something else doesn't pop up down the road because I chose to take the quick pass.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Premium Member
What a project! What area are you in?
I appreciate it. It's probably not much for someone who knows wiring but that someone isn't me. I have a couple of people/places to talk to about restoring the harness. I'd like to be able to get it all taken care of now that way something else doesn't pop up down the road because I chose to take the quick pass.

Find a 1987 Chrysler service manual, unless you already have one.
The electrical wiring book is highly detailed in the schematic sections, and also shows pictorials of the cars wiring harness paths along the body.
If you were to gut the interior, this book will show you how and where to rerun the cables.
Same with the engine bay.

Reactions: GLHS0815 and chrisd

Registered
Discussion Starter #85
Find a 1987 Chrysler service manual, unless you already have one.
The electrical wiring book is highly detailed in the schematic sections, and also shows pictorials of the cars wiring harness paths along the body.
If you were to gut the interior, this book will show you how and where to rerun the cables.
Same with the engine bay.
I have one on the way. Hopefully it will be here when my work set is done and I'll have a little bit of time to start out again

Premium Member
I have one on the way. Hopefully it will be here when my work set is done and I'll have a little bit of time to start out again

It's a BIG Book!
But once you familiarize yourself with it, you'll have a Much easier time sorting the wiring all out.

Reactions: chrisd

Premium Member
I forgot that there's a Shelby factory service manual that shoes the changes made to the body harness and to the wiring to the LM.
I'll see if I can post copies of these on Monday.

Reactions: chrisd

Premium Member
Excellent!
I'll add a copy of the Shelby Factory Service Manual to the FAQ's section either tonight or tomorrow.

Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
The reproduction supplement used to be available on eBay cheap. I wonder what happened with that. Copyright lawyers? Lol

Premium Member
Had a package waiting for me this morning after work. Looks like I have some leisurely reading tonight to pass the time

The reproduction supplement used to be available on eBay cheap. I wonder what happened with that. Copyright lawyers? Lol
I got my copy from someone on here many years ago.
Mine are copies from the originals and done on cardstock instead of regular paper.

Reactions: INSATANSSEAT

Registered
Discussion Starter #92
With work and doctor's appointments plaguing me, I had very little time to do anything to the car on my days off. I had a few hours so I figured I would go after the fuel pump because I didn't want to pull the harness and not be able to get back to it for some time. I got a pump from FWD Performance I ran into a bit of an issue.
I hate to ask this bc I feel like it should come together a lot easier than I'm making it but I haven't changed an in tank pump in 20 yrs. Surely I reuse the plastic hanger but the pump I got is basically a universal. Not what I expected and things don't fit like they should. I can bolt the bottom half of the fuel pump carrier to the sending unit but the top clip will not snap to the carrier. The hose running from the sending unit to the pump will kind of hold it but not really how it's designed to work

Registered
I might be wrong, but I was thinking I have read people had to modify the plastic carrier to accommodate some fuel pumps. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I went el cheapo and it fit perfectly

Registered
Yes you have to modify the plastic carrier to fit. Short of purchasing an exact fuel pump from Mopar, expect to do this.
Use the straight hose included as it is submersible, most are not. I would use EFI clamps NOT worm style clamps. make sure you change out sock filter. Those two plastic tangs on the other end of plastic carriage were supposed to have little rubber/feet on them for noise suppression. Some people just cut small piece of fuel line to use as a replacement.
Many of today's pumps are slightly larger diameter and length, so you sometimes have to deal with that too.
Here is a picture of Deatschwerks pump I installed years ago. Notice I extended the length of the ears? There is more than one way to skin a cat. Many others just install using cable ties. I won't stoop to that level of hack (lol).
IMG_5530.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks. I've talked to a couple other people and they said use a dremel on the carrier. It had one rubber foot but it was bad. I was going to replace them but I'll do it now. And I already have the right clamps on standby

Premium Member
I seem to recall that when installing the Walbro 190 pump, the carrier didn't have to be modified, but I'm pretty sure there were some other slight mods.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts