Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I took my Omni GLH to a body shop to have the driver's side floorboard repaired or replaced. The body guy asked if patch panels or entire floor boards were still available. He asked me - I ask you. Are they available?

1) Are patch panels or entire floorboards still available? If not new - how about used? I want the car to "look right". Do patch panels have the same look and texture as the original boards? Does Mopar have any of this stuff still available?

2) My headliner shell is warped in spots. I might be able to use it and I was considering using blue vinyl instead of the blue cloth. I think it might look nicer and more upscale. Can the headliner shell be fixed as it has minor warpage inthe front near the dome light. If not, where can I get another shell and how much might it cost? Does Mopar have headliner shells?

3) I need a dark blue carpet for my blue interior Omni. I've seen some suggestions on where to get a good quality carpet. Do any of the carpet mfgers have the rubber mat underneath like the original? Does Mopar still have some by any chance?

We want to look good a Carlyle this year...

Thanks,
Mike D'Antonio

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
1. None are available aftermarket/new that I found when I was looking earlier this year. I looked at body shops, and body shop/paint supply stores, and came to the conclusion nothing new was available. So you have 2 options (a) junk yard, or (b) do what I did and fab the panels.

2. The board can probalby be repaired, or patched. It can be patched with fiberglass, or sanded flat if need be.

3. ACC (Auto Custom Carpet) will make you carpet in ANY color you want. Check with them to get samples of the colors they have available.

I ordered my ACC carpet through:

http://www.auto-interior.com/dodge3.htm#Omni

best price I found ($111 shipped), and John (owner/order guy) was very good to deal with.

clay

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
wow! Well, there ya go! See, maybe I just didnt look hard enough. Then again, neither did anyone at the body shops/supply stores!

clay

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mopar, No Floor

Another false alarm. Trademotion has only what dealers have as they get thier parts through dealerships. This was told to me over the phone by a parts guy. I'm realizing that some of these distributors don't do inventory.
Oh well........
Mike D'Antonio

·
Registered
514 Posts
arizonaparts.com salvage yard with "rust free cars" have them cut out what u need & weld them back

or and scrap yard for that matter in the dryer reigons.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is the average grey carpet color actually a "Medium Grey"? I'm ordering some carpet for the 87 CSX and it's a toss up between that color and "Smoke".

·
Registered
514 Posts
it's just called charcoal according to the dealer.

usually you can just send them a clean sample from behind the trim that's not dirty & they will match it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
charcoal is WAY to dark for stock. Its almost black (ACC charcoal anyway).

Smoke is way to light, it almost has a blue tint to it.

Your probalby looking for the medium grey or close to that.

clay

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey Guys,
Go back to the auto upholstery site and look on the last color page. There is a "Misty Grey" that looks perfect. Last color page

87GLHS465 said:
charcoal is WAY to dark for stock. Its almost black (ACC charcoal anyway).

Smoke is way to light, it almost has a blue tint to it.

Your probalby looking for the medium grey or close to that.

clay

·
Registered
651 Posts
I cloaned the "Misty Grey" color carpet into my car picture using my editing software and it definately looks like the color I'm going to get.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can not go by the color sample shown on the website. TRUST ME ON THAT! THe charcoal I ordered didnt look nearly as dark as it is on the pictures. Lots can be the quality of the picture or the settings on your monitor.

best bet: either (a) send ACC a sample to match up, or (b) call ACC for some samples to match your self.

clay

·
Registered
651 Posts
The sample was darker than the actual color of the carpet?

87GLHS465 said:
You can not go by the color sample shown on the website. TRUST ME ON THAT! THe charcoal I ordered didnt look nearly as dark as it is on the pictures. Lots can be the quality of the picture or the settings on your monitor.

best bet: either (a) send ACC a sample to match up, or (b) call ACC for some samples to match your self.

clay

·
Registered
117 Posts
What does everyone thing about just getting some nice diamondplate steel...cutting it to fit...then just bolting the corners down over the carpet and rusty floor boards. Seems like it would be easy, then you could have some nice looking floors...I think the new lotus has floors like this. Anyone have an opinion/thoughts on this

·
Registered
347 Posts
omg, where to begin in this soup sandwich? first off, im quite sure the lotus doesnt have diamond plate over rust. no offense, but that is a stupid idea. lets put something heavy over our weakened rusty floor. how long before the entire floor falls out bro? if you have rust, fix it.

next, go to a different body shop, those guys are obviously hacks who dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. unless your entire floor is shot, which is unlikely since they inquired about patch panels, ANY bodyman should be able to fabricate patch panels for ANY part of the car. if the guy is so lame that he cant find the part, im sure he cant install it. and to answer the question, yes patch panels would be fine and if the work is done correctly and the welds dressed properly, you will never know it was done.

do NOT use fiberglass on your headliner. it is not made of fiberglass, therefore fiberglass does not go on it (the exception being if you cover your headliner in foil or saran wrap and use it for a mold to make a full fiberglass headliner). if you go to an interior shop, they will make you a new headliner, or go to any junkyard and get one. doesnt matter if its sagging if you are going to recover it anyways.

finally do NOT use rubber backed carpet again. that is why your floor is rusted out. any tiny leak you have allows water to get to the carpet, if it has a tiny hole in it or it gets around the edge, then its between the carpet and the metal floor where it has no way to evaporate. it will keep condensating and remain wet and rot your floor. regular carpet at least breathes allowing for evaporation. that rubber backed crap is a retarded as those rubber mats in truck interiors, the constant wetness and condensation wears your paint off, exposing the metal, the rest is history.

finally, before you go replacing floor stuff, replace the weather stripping around your hatch and doors, the replace your window squeegies and window track weather stripping. by doing this, you wont have to worry about leaks ruining your repaired floor, new headliner or new carpet.

if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot them up here, i will subscribe to this thread.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So BigSarge...I take it you did not like my diamond plate idea?

Would you think it was a better idea if I cut out an entire section of the floorboard and welded in a sheet of diamond plate?...would that be the proper way to do this?

·
Registered
347 Posts
its not a matter of like or dislike. putting anything over rusty metal is wrong. the only way to keep from having a flintstone mobile is to repair the rust. anytime you do a rust repair and dont remove all the infected area, it will come back.

and no, cutting out the floorboard and putting diamond plate in probably wont work either. two reasons: number one is that your floor in your car is not flat. it has complex curves and rolled beads for strength in it. you cannot imitate that in diamond plate, its too thick because its not meant to be used that way. if you had a vehicle with primarily flat areas for floorboards, it would be possible except; number two. typically diamond plate is stainless steel, your floor boards are made from cold rolled carbon steel. the melting temperatures for welding are not the same not to mention the difference in thickness. you would burn thru the floorboards way before you would get the diamond plate molten to have any decent penetration on your welds.

in order to do a proper floor pan replacement, you need to drill out all the spot welds in the area and remove the old pan, then plug weld in the new pan and then carefully weld a bead around the perimeter. its your car, you can try what you like but if you are going to do all that work to remove the floorpan, you would have a much easier time installing a replacement floorpan.

now, if you can find non stainless diamond plate in an 18 gauge thickness, you may be able to hammerform it into place to imitate the shape of the factory pan but making floorboards from scratch that actually fit correctly is a LOT of work. done it before and i dont enjoy it and depending on your ability level and tool availability, it may be next to impossible or at least a very lengthy project

good luck if you give it a try and by all means, post some pics of the progress, or if you run into issues, post questions here, i will give what advice i can on it. i prefer just to paint but i know a thing or two about sheet metal fab and welding.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hey Sarge! (jumping in here!) to pass Inspection here in Germany once, I cut up an Army old school Wall locker, and used the steel from that to tack weld all over this rust bucket of a BMW 323i that I had! That, and liberal use of Bondo (and a Bottle of Jack for the German doing the inspection...) and Voila! Passed! But you are right, the Chassis steel will in NO way mate up with Diamond plate. Simple dissimilar metal properties.
What did we figger out with the Louvers?? Let me know!

SABRE 13 out!([email protected])

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Big Sarge said:
typically diamond plate is stainless steel, your floor boards are made from cold rolled carbon steel.
I dont know, maybe this is a common misnomer, but diamond plate is not "typically" made for stainless steel. Maybe thats what most people "see", but diamond plate is made in 3 forms: carbon steel, SS, and aluminum. Then you can get it in varying thickness, and surface finish.

If I was a betting man, and "typically" was refering to the most common of something, I would say diamond plate is typically made in carbon steel, but thats just my opinion.

but everything else you said is 100% spot on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts