Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
kinda. no-one carries them but all the forged piston manufacturers will make them. Wiseco is the lowest cost. try contacting them directly

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it worth it ? For your high-compression 2.5 tall block/2.2 piston set up, are forged pistons necessary or beneficial ?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
with the loads I put my engine thru, I don't think cast pistons would hold up. I've had luck over the years running hyper-eutechtic (sp?) however they are very sensative to detonation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get a set of brand new cast 2.2 Flat Top Pistons.. with Moly Rings for $38.

I called Wiseco and I can get a set of Forged Flat Top Pistons with Chrome faced, gas nitrated rings, pins, clips including oil scrapper and mini flex vents for $540 for the set.

So my question is.. in this N/A application at around 200 hp (maybe 225 ? no way we get to 250 is there ??) do we really need Forged Pistons..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
So my question is.. in this N/A application at around 200 hp (maybe 225 ? no way we get to 250 is there ??) do we really need Forged Pistons..
It sounds like it wouldn't be smart not to have forged slugs at that level for this motor, but I am curious myself as well. What specs did you provide for them when you got a quote? Stock pin height and all? with just flat tops?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My opinion... Cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure. Doesn't matter if you get 300+ HP with boost and 8:to1 compression; or 12:to1 compression multi carbs
big cam w/lots of overlap and ign. advance and race gas; or with Nitrous oxide. Forged pistons can withstand the pressure and do it longer than cast pistons. There are exceptions to every rule, but there aren't many HIGH HP four-cylinders running cast pistons that I've heard of.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
TRW I beleive is the name of the company that makes some nice flat top forged pistons for our cars. The only downfall is that for a forged slug they are kinda heavy because the "dome" is pretty thick. What *can* be done is to use slightly longer rods to poke them out of the holes a little, then have them milled down to the spec you need. It will lighten the piston and give you an EXACT TDC height for each piston. IIRC they aren't very expensive either...

HTH...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I built a hi HP N2O NA motor in the late 80's w/ 6520 carb. L-2dr went 13.70s @107 on street tires. I used the TRW slugs with Total Seal rings when everyone was afraid of them.

There are several things to think about when picking pistons. Make sure you know what your end game really is and plan accordingly. NA engines don't need forged pistons unless you're looking at a power adder in the future, ie nitrous.

NA motors need to spin to make power. Bob weight is your enemy at high rpms.

Tune up is critical with any piston but the forged will give you another layer of protection if you don't have all the high end tools to tune with.

Lots of factors to consider.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts