Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running some new Venolias into my 2.5 CB. Should I run conventional oil during break in or synthetic. And also what is a basic break-in procedure on these pistolas. I've also seen posts here that recommend a clearance range of .002 to .007" for venolias. That's a huge difference and .007 seems like they would never seal and sound like a diesel even when hot?

· Registered
28 Posts
Running some new Venolias into my 2.5 CB. Should I run conventional oil during break in or synthetic. And also what is a basic break-in procedure on these pistolas. I've also seen posts here that recommend a clearance range of .002 to .007" for venolias. That's a huge difference and .007 seems like they would never seal and sound like a diesel even when hot?

I have JE pistons in my 2.5CB.....I have the piston to wall clearance at .005" and its super quiet :).....I know these are different pistons, and I believe that the JE pistons expand more than the venolias. I was told not to use synthetic oil to break in the motor. I just used some cheap oil for the 200miles then changed the oil. I used a synthetic blend when I did change the oil.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have JE pistons in my 2.5CB.....I have the piston to wall clearance at .005" and its super quiet :).....I know these are different pistons, and I believe that the JE pistons expand more than the venolias. I was told not to use synthetic oil to break in the motor. I just used some cheap oil for the 200miles then changed the oil. I used a synthetic blend when I did change the oil.
That was what I heard also about a regular oil for 2-300 miles, then switch to synthetic. I thought from what I read that the venolias expand more than the JEs, thus requiring more clearance. I'm sure someone here has experience with both.

· Registered
28 Posts
That was what I heard also about a regular oil for 2-300 miles, then switch to synthetic. I thought from what I read that the venolias expand more than the JEs, thus requiring more clearance. I'm sure someone here has experience with both.

Yea I probably got the 2 mixed up....sorry lol
I just recently got my engine set together a month ago, and this is like my 2nd dodge build. But hope everything works out ok, keep me posted man

· Registered
5,790 Posts
.007" sounds exactly right for Venolias. They do expand more than JE's due to having less silicon content in the alloy.

I know that mine do rattle around, but I've heard the same story from other people using these pistons too...

· Registered
2,433 Posts
I've got venolias in my daytona. Break in. BEAT ON IT. the rings seat pretty quick, so make sure you get some good rpm runs on it for the rings to seat. Run conventional oil for the first few hundred miles (i changed my oil the first time after like 50 miles, then the next after another few hundred). Then it's been synthetic ever since. 20,000+ miles and everything has been great. Car gets beat on all the time 18 psi boost. When you fire the car up and it's cold the venolias are loud, like a diesel, seems to quiet down once warm, but still not so quiet. Runs good though and has handled plenty of detonation and 1600+ egts. Well worth the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.