Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need your opinions. I found an 88 Daytona Shelby Z for sale very close to my house. Its rustfree and in overall nice shape. But the guy said that the freeze plug fell out, so my question is seeing as the freeze plug fell out does that mean that the block is most likely cracked?? Also he said he was running all water and it froze so is it possible that might have forced the plug out?

So basically what i want to know is what my chances are of the block being cracked and also how hard it is to get a new plug in?:rolleyes: thanks, Matt

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According the the guy its the plug in the back of the block. I dont mind taking the head off to get a new one in but i'd hate to buy it without knowing if the block is cracked:(

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
You will have to look at it yourself to see if the block is cracked.As for the plug mine popped out on my way to get my e-test lol.Took 10 min to replace it.I did have a hoist though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You can do the back freeze plugs in the car without much of a problem. Not really hard at all. then just pressure check it to see if the block is broke. If it pushed the plug the block is probly fine though.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You can do the back freeze plugs in the car without much of a problem. Not really hard at all. then just pressure check it to see if the block is broke. If it pushed the plug the block is probly fine though.
Isn't the turbo, starter, power steering bracket, in the way. I don't remember what all covers them since I did my rebuild. All is know is that its really easy to do on a shortblock on a stand:D

·
RECORD HOLDER 11second mini
726 Posts
The block in my minivan froze up and pushed out the center plug in the rear........it also cracked the block all the way across the bottom in the back :bang head

It still ran in the 11's with some JB weld and a can of block sealer...LOL!!! :eek:

Expect the block to be cracked........then if it's not......BONUS!!!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
It's not dumb. Nothing cools better than plain water. ... just can't leave it overnight in Alaska ;)

If it's a totally rust free car I'd grab it for sure. Motor swaps aren't too bad to do. Rust free is definitely worth the trouble.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i agree water does cool better than anything but it also causes rust so its not quite worth it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts