Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 92 Iroc rt, lowered approx 2.5 inches and running 18's with 40 series tires. My problem is, under mild or hard acceleration i feel a wobble in the front end. Sometimes this doesn't happen at all. What gives! Is the car too low? Can this be fixed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can't speak from experience but my guess would be yes too low. The mopar book says not to lower a car more than 1" by cutting springs. Look at the drive axles to see if they look like the could be getting in a bind

·
Registered
538 Posts
A cv joint or other suspension/steering components could be worn.

Look closely at your cv shaft angles. If there off because of lowering the car you might be able to correct it by adjusting your motor mounts.

Do R/T's have equal length axels or not?

·
Legendary Driver
10,944 Posts
yeah I'd say an axle is probably toast from being too low. If you draw a line from the lower control arm pivot bushing center to the ball joint it shouldn't point up. The lowest is should be is parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
My 94 mini with a 3.8 did what you describe. Way back in 2000 when I bought it and one of the first things I did was the mounts (aftermarket) no change. Many repairs later I found this site and last year I bought a second R/T and found a filled mount in the back that has finally fixed it. It has latley been starting again but it is beating the urothane (spelling) out of it. Next mount will be a poly for it. The 3.8 mini actually used the same mounting system mopar used when they designed the K car with a no hp 4 cylinder. The engine rolls back too far and changed axle angle too much.

With dropping the car you may need to adjust the engine forward with use of the mounts and a solid bobble strut to raise the axle angle up close to where it was before dropping the car. This way the axles would under acceleration be closer to what it was before the drop. Might even need a custom poly front mount to lower the front a bit.
Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts