Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 Shelby Charger and a friend has a dead 94 K car with a 2.5, I was wondering about taking the fuel injection and putting it on the Charger. Has anybody done this swap before, and is such a thing feasible?

·
Registered
862 Posts
sure. its going to be a ton of work. and that 94 harness will not work well.

you are going to hear this at some point.. so im going to bust it out in the first reply.

If you are going through that much trouble. just convert to a turbo and be done with it. going from 80HP- 110HP is NOT worth the effort or cost or head ache or busted knuckles or hours of reading diagrams and cutting up harneses. Now... Going from 80 to 150+HP.. IS WORTH the effort.

·
Administrator
24,267 Posts
I am assuming your 83 is carburated.
I have never done this and do not know anybody that has, however...
If we are to throw everything out the window and go by the "anything is possible" motto...

Besides the fact that the fuel/timing scales are different between a 2.2L and a 2.5L, we will ignore that for now...
You would also need to swap the engine controller, sensors, relays, distributor, manifolds/TB, fuel pump, fuel tank and lines, cylinder head (unless the current head has spot for the CTS), airbox and complete wiring harness.
Even if you just swap the engine and all electrical components/wiring you would still need to swap the fuel tank and lines and have a 2.2L calibrated controller or "Mega Squirt".

Now that I have said all that somebody will probably come on, disagree and say...
"Don't listen to him, it's easy and I have done it".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I think you all are right. For that kind of effort, I could put a DOHC Neon engine in, have 150 hp and not worry about turbos. It's just after living with fuel injection, I don't care if I ever mess with a carburetor again.

·
Administrator
24,267 Posts
by 94 they have BCM's as well right?
Yes but not all models, mostly AG/AJ.
Also the BCM has nothing to do with the engine, it only operates the Headlamps/Headlamp Door Motors/T/S/Auto Rolling Door Locks/Intermittent Wipers, Electronic Instrument Cluster, etc.

OK, I think you all are right. For that kind of effort, I could put a DOHC Neon engine in, have 150 hp and not worry about turbos. It's just after living with fuel injection, I don't care if I ever mess with a carburetor again.
You will still need the complete engine wiring harness, engine controller all sensors/relays, fuel tank and lines and probably the radiator and fan assembly plus other things I am forgetting at the moment.
You will also need to modify the Bulkhead Connector to accept the new harness and move the wiring so your interior and power feeds are all in the proper position.

·
Super Moderator
11,698 Posts
the "easy" way would be to find an 88-90 efi omni/horizon and swap every piece in

however , having done the turbo upgrade with an 85 turismo I have to agree
do the turbo engine swap

you WILL NOT REGRET IT

the turbo is probably the most reliable part on the motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts