Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was supposed to be Change the Fuel Filter Day; I did like the book says to release the fuel pressure-- I got an injector boot off, connected one side of the injector to gnd and pressed a wire from 12V to the other, and was expecting to hear what the book says I should hear, some kind of hiss or something.

I got plenty of spark when trying to make a good contact by pressing my flimsy wire onto the injector tab, (never for more than a second at a time), but there was absolutely no other noise than the sparks-- no whooshing, no little hiss... nothing.

Well, nuts. Maybe I don't HAVE any fuel pressure; maybe the injector is bad; maybe you need to make a really, really, really good contact before the injector opens; maybe...?

I was pretty set on replacing the filter today, so I'll probably do that whether gas starts spraying all over or not, I'll just have to take care. But I thought I would post here in case you guys could think of something to try or something to do while I've still got that #4 injector boot off, (it was the devil to get it off of there, with that tiny clip).

:confused:

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
I have never released the pressure when changing my fuel filter. Do it when the car has sat for a while, the pressure will have dropped by itself, just do not turn the key on prior or you will pressurize the line. Loosen the gas cap to relieve any tank pressure and wear safety glasses.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
wait a second here.

if your car runs then the injectors work, and energizing one of them for a few seconds WILL relieve fuel pressure.

i just did this on mine a couple days ago, i heard a CLICK, no hissing or spraying, and it DID work, because I immediately removed the fuel lines and rail and no gas sprayed out anywhere.

now i was energizing probably two injectors because I connected the jumpers to the injector harness according to the FSM.

i would not recommend depressurizing via the schrader valve, that valve is for connecting a fuel pressure gauge and you will get gas everywhere if you try to depress the little plunger and have a rag there. i have done it that way and its messy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
wait a second here.

if your car runs then the injectors work, and energizing one of them for a few seconds WILL relieve fuel pressure.

i just did this on mine a couple days ago, i heard a CLICK, no hissing or spraying, and it DID work, because I immediately removed the fuel lines and rail and no gas sprayed out anywhere.

now i was energizing probably two injectors because I connected the jumpers to the injector harness according to the FSM.

i would not recommend depressurizing via the schrader valve, that valve is for connecting a fuel pressure gauge and you will get gas everywhere if you try to depress the little plunger and have a rag there. i have done it that way and its messy.
but now you have flooded a cylinder not good for spark plugs or the rings buy washing down the cylinder

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
umm since the FSM explicitly says to do this I really doubt its going to hurt the engine. im sure the engine can withstand one flooded cylinder at startup.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it seems strange, but maybe the book (Haynes) is wrong.

Maybe when they were writing it, someone chose that exact moment to pass gas...

FWIW, I did like I said and afterwards changed the fuel filter and there was no pressure there; it just came dribbling out, so it must have worked. Good enough!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE

jumpering the injector/injector harness is a procedure from the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL from CHRYSLER.

you are NOT going to hurt your engine by flooding a cylinder with gas at startup from the above procedure.

you should NOT relieve fuel pressure by pushing in the schrader valve. 40+ psi of gasoline will spray out everywhere OBVIOUSLY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Um release fuel pressure from the valve and take off ur filter u dont need to do all that shit. It should work fine with no harm done.

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE

jumpering the injector/injector harness is a procedure from the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL from CHRYSLER.

you are NOT going to hurt your engine by flooding a cylinder with gas at startup from the above procedure.

you should NOT relieve fuel pressure by pushing in the schrader valve. 40+ psi of gasoline will spray out everywhere OBVIOUSLY.
Get yourself a length of hose with the connector for the schrader valve coupled to it (or use your FP test gauge which should have a purge valve on it)... put opened end of hose into gas can. I don't see the problem.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
The factory is not always correct. There are easier ways to do it. Like ^ said or even the waiting till the fuel system looses pressure is a good idea. Washing down the cylinders with gas is not good for rings, plugs etc. like said before. Gas goes in the motor to be burned not to sit in the cylinder. Your way may work but it is not ideal nor necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts