Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( A few days ago I posted a thread called pops and sputters. Well today I had the chance to work on it a little bit more and here is what I found. 2 and 3 cylinders had fuel on the spark plugs after just a few minutes of running the engine. Cylinder 1 looked OK, but number 4 was like 2 and 3, black and sooty minus the fuel. I did a fuel pressure test and seen I was running on about 85-90psi of fuel pressure. I had this problem already and changed the fuel pump out from a shadow in hopes this would solve the problem. Apperently I was wrong. Any ideas? Please help! :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
85-90psi of fuel pressure when... at idle? That's insanely high.

Normally at idle with 20" vacuum, you should see 45psi. By removing the vacuum line from the regulator, you should see around 55psi. Under boost, you should see pressure rise 1psi per psi of boost.

Check to make sure that the return line isn't pinched anywhere, from bashing by foreign objects perhaps. You can disconnect the return line at the rail, run a new line into a gas can and start the car to see what the pressure reads. If it goes back to normal you have a restriction in the return line somewhere.

The most likely culprit is the regulator, I would get one from a yard and replace that first. It only takes a few minutes. Make sure you use a decent O-ring and that it doesn't leak on you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts