Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the gas tank and put in a new fuel pump.. the fuel pump runs with aux power but will not run when the key is turned on.. car turns over but will not start.. it is a 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby..

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!
The fuel pump (injectors and coil) are powered by the ASD Relay.
The ASD Relay will powered on for one second with initial key on to pressurize the fuel rail.
The ASD will not be actuated again until the engine controller see's a crank and fuel sync signal from the HEP (Hall Effect Pickup) in the distributor.

The questions then become...
1)Is the ASD being actuated for 1 second with initial key on?
Do you hear the fuel pump cycle on for that 1 second?
If Yes...Continue
2)Do you have power at the fuel pump, + coil terminal while cranking the engine?

Here are the No Start diagnostics, let me know where they lead and we will go from there.
If you have any questions,concerns Please feel free to ask.

NO START DIAGNOSTICS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feedback.. it will take me a few days to check all of this out but I will get back to you and let you know how it is going..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy New Year!! I turn 80 this year so I have been Pops or Papa for some time now.. I bought my first 89' Shelby
in February of 1990 from a local dealer and I dearly loved that car.. can't believe I sold it.. but the one I have now
I bought from a person in Florida and I should have gone to look at it but, since I live in Spokane, WA I decided to
take a chance and bought it site unseen based on his description... unfortunately for me I paid too much and the car
is a mess... So I REALLY appreciate any and all help that you can give me... I will start working on it in the next week
or so and let you know what I find out..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I might be in over my head..(what's new) all the photos showing the location of the ASD show 3 relays
but on my car there are only two and neither is the ASD.. I do not know where to go from here..

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
I assume you are following the diagnostic procedures and are attempting to manually actuate the ASD Relay.
If this is the case you do not need to locate the Relay.
You need to locate the underhood diagnostic connector and ground the DB/YL wire in the diagnostic connector with the key on/engine off.
This will actuate the ASD Relay and you can then test for power at the fuel pump, + coil and injectors.
There should be illustrations in the diagnostic procedures.
The only reason you would only have two relays on an 88 or newer vehicle if it is not equipped with A/C.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the diagnostic connector and grounded as per instructions.. I heard a relay click and the fuel pump came on... The car started and runs.. Thank you SO much for all your help.. I am sure I will have other problems that come up.. do you want me to check with you or post them on the forum??

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
Manually actuating the ASD only tells you that the ASD Relay circuit is working properly, you cannot leave the diagnostic connector grounded.
You now have to determine why the ASD Relay is not being actuated with the engine cranking.
The engine controller has to see a crank and fuel sync signal from the HEP(hall effect pickup) before it will actuate the ASD Relay.
More than likely the HEP or Corroded/Loose HEP connectors are your issue.
You can get a replacement HEP at any parts store, however, be aware, the HEP is a high failure item and aftermarket HEPS are not always the best.
I would recommend buying locally incase you have an issue or go to your local JY and find a few.
All 2.2/2.5L turbo cars from 86 - up use the same HEP.
Any questions, comments or questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed the ground and the car started and runs just fine. It is snowing right now otherwise I would take it out
for a road test.. Will let you know what happens.. Apparently all it needed was a reset.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quick question for you.. the previous owner put this on.. is it safe to run if he did not do any mods to the car?

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
Are you sure this car is an 89 and is it a US car?
VIN Decoding...
VIN Decoding.jpg
SBEC is Single Board Engine Controller used on 90 and up vehicles and has one 60 pin connector.
88/89 used a SMEC, Single Module Engine Controller which has a 14 Pin and a 60 Pin Connector.

According to FWD Performance the Stage 4 controller is set up for a 3 Bar Map Sensor, are you sure there are no mods?
What is the part # on the Map Sensor?

From FWD Performance...

Name: ECU 1990/1991 Stage 4 Calibration
Core Charge: $125.00
Part Number: FWD 76-0411
Description:
16 pounds boost, revised spark and fuel curves up to 29 psi of boost, modified wastegate tables for faster spool up. O2 feedback, active knock retard, increased rev limiter and over boost protection provided. Revised fan schedules for better cooling. Great for use on stock or modified turbo 2 cars. Using +40% injectors, 3 bar map sensor, and larger exhaust. Retains and enhances cruise control functions.​

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car is a 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby built for export to Germany where it was purchased new and later purchased by the person that I bought it from.. I have no idea if any mods were made. I will see if I can find the
part # on the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The car is a 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby built for export to Germany
Check the 10th digit(letter) of the VIN.
It can very well be a 1990, purchased in late 1989.

Although there have been some anomaly’s in Chrysler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
MAP sensor is 2927C
The number on the Map Sensor should be 7 digits
Here is a pic of a 1990 Chrysler Turbo Map Sensor, Part # 5227352.
thumbnail.jpg

The part # for an 88/89 Chrysler Turbo Map Sensor is 5227152.

How many connectors are on the engine controller?
What is the 10th digit of the VIN.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check the 10th digit(letter) of the VIN.
It can very well be a 1990, purchased in late 1989.

Although there have been some anomaly’s in Chrysler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This car is getting more interesting everyday.. the 10th letter is "K" which would indicate 1989

While checking on the map sensor I noted that the wastegate relay is not hooked up and I can't find any way
of hooking it up...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The number on the Map Sensor should be 7 digits
Here is a pic of a 1990 Chrysler Turbo Map Sensor, Part # 5227352.
View attachment 269670

The part # for an 88/89 Chrysler Turbo Map Sensor is 5227152.

How many connectors are on the engine controller?
What is the 10th digit of the VIN.
The map sensor on this car is 5227152 so it is definitely an 89
all the numbers read: 5227152
C4469
2927C

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
If the car starts and runs fine/normally I seriously doubt that you have a controller calibrated for a 3 Bar Map since you have the stock OE 2 Bar Map Sensor on the car, unfortunately I am not familiar with Modified Controller Calibrations so I can only go by what is on the FWD Performance site and the pic you posted, you may want to call FWD Performance and ask about the controller in your car.
Phone: (281) 288-4411
You can also contact them through Facebook.

How many connectors are on this controller, One 14 Pin and One 60 Pin (SMEC) or One 60 Pin Only(SBEC)?

My best guess on the hose removal from the wastegate solenoid is that the previous owner wanted to be able to go to 14.5 lbs of boost (2 Bar) or higher (3 Bar) and not the 12 lbs the OE controller would allow, no pressure to the wastegate = no wastegate opening.

Basically all you need to do is run new vacuum lines from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate.
If you are not planning on racing the car or doing WOT bursts on public streets then you will probably never get to 12 lbs of boost, better to be safe than sorry.

89 Turbo 2 Vacuum.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts