Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I queried FWD performance on the addition of the stage 4 program and received the following from them:

"Requires +40 injectors, 3 bar map. Should be used on cars with bigger the stock exhaust and bigger than stock intercooler and garrett turbo or bigger and not the mitsu turbo"

I could be in over my head here... unable to contact the previous owner so I do not know what if anything he
did to the car beyond adding the program.. I know he did not go with the bigger exhaust so can only assume
he nothing else..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the car starts and runs fine/normally I seriously doubt that you have a controller calibrated for a 3 Bar Map since you have the stock OE 2 Bar Map Sensor on the car, unfortunately I am not familiar with Modified Controller Calibrations so I can only go by what is on the FWD Performance site and the pic you posted, you may want to call FWD Performance and ask about the controller in your car.
Phone: (281) 288-4411
You can also contact them through Facebook.

How many connectors are on this controller, One 14 Pin and One 60 Pin (SMEC) or One 60 Pin Only(SBEC)?

My best guess on the hose removal from the wastegate solenoid is that the previous owner wanted to be able to go to 14.5 lbs of boost (2 Bar) or higher (3 Bar) and not the 12 lbs the OE controller would allow, no pressure to the wastegate = no wastegate opening.

Basically all you need to do is run new vacuum lines from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate.
If you are not planning on racing the car or doing WOT bursts on public streets then you will probably never get to 12 lbs of boost, better to be safe than sorry.

View attachment 269693
Since you put this in bold .. How many connectors are on this controller, One 14 Pin and One 60 Pin (SMEC) or One 60 Pin Only(SBEC)? I guess I best check it out.. will probably be able to do that tomorrow..

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
quick question for you.. the previous owner put this on.. is it safe to run if he did not do any mods to the car?
View attachment 269666
14 & 60 pin is SMEC(88-89 only)

I have an idea:
Is it possible that just the controller case is FWD Performance? And the stock internals were swapped into it?

With the MAP description, and the other surprise issues you’ve had it doesn’t seem like much of a stretch to assume this.

Opening the controller case isn’t difficult at all. I believe there 2 screws holding it in the vehicle, and then 6? that hold the case halves together.
Take it out, and open it up.
Snap a pic, and then I’m sure NAJ or another admin. will be able to tell you exactly what you’ve got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
The response you received from FWD Performance is exactly what I read on their site.
The sticker on the outside of your controller reads "Stage 4 SBEC" which is not what that controller is, SBEC has one 60 Pin Connector and was used 90-95.
You have a SMEC which has two connectors and was used on all 88/89 vehicles.

IMO someone just placed that sticker on the outside of the OE SMEC, especially since your car starts and runs fine with a 2 Bar Map.

I think you are good to go, take the car out for a ride, put her through her paces and see if any issues arise, do not go to high boost levels until you get the vacuum lines connected to the Wastegate Solenoid and Turbo.
Again, IMO they were removed by the previous owner so he could get to max boost of 14.5 lbs with a 2 Bar Map.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just on a side note.. I wish the guy had taken better care of the car.. I need to change the oil but can not get the drain plug out !!! may end up having to replace the oil pan.. As soon as I do get the oil changed I will take the car for a drive
and see how it performs.. I so much appreciate all of your input on this project as I fear without you the car would just
sit in the garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
14 & 60 pin is SMEC(88-89 only)

I have an idea:
Is it possible that just the controller case is FWD Performance? And the stock internals were swapped into it?

With the MAP description, and the other surprise issues you’ve had it doesn’t seem like much of a stretch to assume this.

Opening the controller case isn’t difficult at all. I believe there 2 screws holding it in the vehicle, and then 6? that hold the case halves together.
Take it out, and open it up.
Snap a pic, and then I’m sure NAJ or another admin. will be able to tell you exactly what you’ve got.

It appears that NAJ is right.. this unit is totally sealed.. I will clean it up and re-install it..

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It appears that NAJ is right.. this unit is totally sealed.. I will clean it up and re-install it..
View attachment 269719
Your module is, as expected, a SMEC(Single Module Engine Control), and the FWD Performance label has been transferred from a completely different module. It’s unfortunate, but absolutely true.
I feel for you my friend, but there are some not so honest people that troll the forums.

On a better note: the SMEC is an inferior controller, but at the same time a lot easier to modify.
For example, you could have the calibration chip replaced with a blank socket, and then have custom engine control calibrations written. Then you can add more power just by swapping the chip.
And once you’ve got the socketed SMEC, you can really do almost anything you wish to the engine, and have the ability to have the calibration tweaked as you add hard parts.
(Note: I’m partial to the SMEC because it what I choose to run in my vehicle )

I wish you the very best with everything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Actually I am pleased that things are working out the way they are.. I bought the car because I love the Daytona Shelby and I am partial to the 89' because I previously owned one. I prefer the car stock and will hook up the waste gate relay just as NAJ suggested and be perfectly happy. My goal is to get the car as close to show quality as I can without spending a lot of money (cuz I ain't got none) join a MOPAR club here in Spokane and enjoy the camaraderie. I really appreciate Turbo Dodge and the people who have the dedication to be a real part of it.:):)

·
Administrator
24,187 Posts
What is the issue with the drain plug, rounded, won't come loose. spins and will not come out?

The drain plug thread pitch is 1/2" x 20, if you want to replace it with the Mopar Part...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What is the issue with the drain plug, rounded, won't come loose. spins and will not come out?

The drain plug thread pitch is 1/2" x 20, if you want to replace it with the Mopar Part...

I got it out with the help of a cold chisel and sledge hammer... no damage to the oil pan.. oil has been changed and ready to road test as soon as the snow goes away..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts